Re: huge problem

Subject: Re: huge problem
From: Pekka Toppi (pot@norssi.oulu.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 12:17:05 EET

> Ok there is a problem and i will explain it. If a long period occures
> from our current desc up to the point of the cataclysm then our original
> descs have no meaning. That is the orcs would invade anthainon the dark
> elves would fall to the tore'e, eastern elderon would be taken over by
> the Brahjians in a holy war, the Hilosyph would take vram, areon and
> sol'doran or an infinate number of possibilties. This means we need to
> make three descs for three different periods of time. A pointless task
> that adds nothing to the game.
So. When are our (your) descs dated? I mean. They could be dated right
before the cataclysm, before the events that lead to cataclysm started.
And why should we worry about any of that stuff. There is no problem,
you're just making one up. If we decide that orc's didn't invade
anthainon. Maybe they didn't have the time or maybe antahainon just stood
against their attacks, we don't even have to have a reason if we just
decide, for it has no meaning in the start of the game. We need no new
descs, except the one after the cataclysm. We can just decide that besides
the effects of cataclysm, the world stayed the same.

> Next if the religions and cultures are given up then what is the point
> of the cataclysm. I thought the point was to presurve history which
> would be destroyed if culture and religion are given up. If this is what
> you want, to destroy history, then why have the cataclysm at all. Why
> not just start the game when mortals first come to earth? Its Ironic
> that it is me who is now defending history and Mandor and Yorka are
> wanting to get rid of it. Its a complete role reversal.
 Nobody wants to get rid of history. There is no need to destory history
just because people abandoned their old believes. If you look at our
world, people have revolted and abandoned many believes, religions, social
systems etc. and still we have a history dating through all these periods.
Just because the world changed dramatically, doesn't mean that everything
before that is lost.

> If we get rid of history then we should get rid of the cataclysm. It has
> no point otherwise and adds nothing to the game. Only giveing the
> designers meaningless work to do.
>
> I suggets you get a better excuse for the gods to be upset. Or better
> yet remove the gods from the cataclysm completely.
 No. We have a good reason for them to be upset and we have a good reason
for the cataclysm and we have a good story. Why in the hell should we
start all over again just because you find problems in everything but your
own ideas. GRR =)

Pekka Toppi/Mirithil