huge problem

Subject: huge problem
From: joshua 'hook' corning (hook@u.washington.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 11:37:52 EET

Atte Koivula wrote:

> > 1. The cataclysm should be quick at least in the eyes of the mortals. In
> > other words not more then 10 years. Although the causes of the cataclysm
> > chould have been brewing in the back ground for some time but this
> > should be outside of most mortal societies and knowledge up until the
> > end.
>
> Not really. Mortals were converted so it did affect mortal societies but
> of course normal peasants had no idea what was coming...
>
> > 2. It should not involve mortals giving up their religions and cultures
> > as was proposed in Mandor's original "Cataclysm decided" mail. This
> > would make all the old region and race descs useless. I thought the
> > point of the cataclysm was as a compromise so that we can keep history
> > intact. If the mortals give up their history and gods then what was the
> > point.
>
> No. It does include mortals giving up their religions and cultures, it
> gives a nice excuse for the gods to be upset. End of subject.

Ok there is a problem and i will explain it. If a long period occures
from our current desc up to the point of the cataclysm then our original
descs have no meaning. That is the orcs would invade anthainon the dark
elves would fall to the tore'e, eastern elderon would be taken over by
the Brahjians in a holy war, the Hilosyph would take vram, areon and
sol'doran or an infinate number of possibilties. This means we need to
make three descs for three different periods of time. A pointless task
that adds nothing to the game.

Next if the religions and cultures are given up then what is the point
of the cataclysm. I thought the point was to presurve history which
would be destroyed if culture and religion are given up. If this is what
you want, to destroy history, then why have the cataclysm at all. Why
not just start the game when mortals first come to earth? Its Ironic
that it is me who is now defending history and Mandor and Yorka are
wanting to get rid of it. Its a complete role reversal.

If we get rid of history then we should get rid of the cataclysm. It has
no point otherwise and adds nothing to the game. Only giveing the
designers meaningless work to do.

I suggets you get a better excuse for the gods to be upset. Or better
yet remove the gods from the cataclysm completely.

Joshua 'hook' corning
hook@majik3d.org