Re: Cataclysm

Subject: Re: Cataclysm
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik3d.org)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 13:12:46 EET

On 19 Nov 1999, Mikkonen Jani wrote:

> This all means that there happened another cataclysm that changed the present
> world much. (first cataclysm was that where ancients disappeared) Sages' role
> at the beginning is important as I mentioned. There should be however animals
> and few npc:s so that the world wouldn't be too empty.

Animals and monsters (orcs, goblins etc.), I suggest. As I tried to point
out in my "NPCs" mail, it just doesn't work if we're to have player-like
NPCs that you couldn't know whether it is a PC or NPC. They must either
have an unrealistic glow around them helping to distinguish or then they
should belong to some other race, more stupid so you wouldn't need to
except them to speak intelligently, only simple phrases that our AI code
can do. We might however need to have some powerful figures in the world
when the PCs come to wander around, but these could be controlled by the
Sages, they could be just another PC characters roleplayed by the Sages
as their secondary characters.

Initially, we must select a few (in the beginning only one) starting
locations where the players wake up, because it just wouldn't work if we
just drop them randomly in the large world. Not too fun to have something
like 10 players and no-one could meet another PCs until there is 1000 of
them. When the population of a certain area is large enough, we make new
starting locations. When Majik opens for public for real we can expect
hundreds of players, so this shouldn't be a problem anymore after then.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik3d.org https://majik3d-legacy.org