Cataclysm

Subject: Cataclysm
From: Mikkonen Jani (Jani.Mikkonen@koulu.paltamo.fi)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 11:58:00 EET

As we can't place 1000+ NPCs around the world of Majik, and completely ready
and detailed kingdoms would be boring to play in and very strenuous to produce,
me and Harum came up with the following idea, which solves a number of problems,
server load among them.

When Majik opens up, the first players wake up (maybe few npc:s also
in a few cities, in the middle of ruins. Stripes of dire, black smoke and
the sparkling lights of dying fires can be seen here and there, the sky is
red and black, maybe a few scorched stone buildings are still partially
standing.
The players remember nothing of what has happed, until they hear
cries of desperation (sage): "Oh ye who waketh in destruction and
mayhem! The world has come to an end today, and there's no hope to
be seen in these cursed lands! Yet, it is our place to rise forth again,
together, and discover that which was lost... (blahblah)". A sage
starts telling what was before the cataclysm and suggests the players
to search for signs of other living things, start to rebuild the city,
find ancient writings that may have survived the Fire. Outside the
cities there's a desolate, scorched scenery (Sol'Daran could be just
a plain of tree stumps, maybe a few saplings every here and there to
cheer things up a little), humanoid corpses lying here and there, some
in grotesk poses due to unbearable pain, some hanging from the Gods'
statues etc...

This all means that there happened another cataclysm that changed the present
world much. (first cataclysm was that where ancients disappeared) Sages' role
at the beginning is important as I mentioned. There should be however animals
and
few npc:s so that the world wouldn't be too empty.

- Brethel -