Re: Between darkness and light...

Subject: Re: Between darkness and light...
From: Atte Koivula (yorka@dlc.fi)
Date: Sat Jul 03 1999 - 13:29:32 EEST

Lari Kuitunen wrote:

> true indeed, we do not need normally evolving systems, but it is not
> forbidden to use common sense is it?
> in addition, i never mentioned that there should not be cold winters, i
> merely
> stated that they would not, if common sense has anything to say here, be
> very cold in all regions. how could a rainforest, for example, live through
> 6months of cold winter and snow?
> If everywhere would be cold and snowing, majik would consists only of
> temperate climate, and vegetation would be far from tropical
>  (except those lava lakes, which in  my opinion should be rarities,
> not very common. it would to me seem bit
> stupid if lava lakes were so common that they'd keep southern majik
> warm for whole winter, and enable those rain forests to survive)

Agreed, I do not like to consider Majik as "The World of Lava Lakes" :).

> mixing magic into this conversation is bit far fetched, ofcourse people
> would
> research magic in order to survive changes in climate and seasons, but
> isn't it
> bit patronising to base the climate system to purpose that mortals would
> learn other magic than only combat magic?

Mortals should not be considered universally important as the world can
handle itself without them. I do not recall anyone giving the impression
that the world of Majik should be designed from the mortals' point of
view. Everything should be objective.

> in conclusion, ofcourse there should be noticeable differences in
> appearance and
> gameplay when it comes to seasons and climates, but to me, it still seems
> quite
> radical to limit day to 6 month periods and night to 6 month periods.
> sentient beings would probably be far from what they are nowadays in majik,
> probably they'd be just creatures that would stay out for 6 months, then
> hilbernate
> for another 6 months, and so on, since their eyes would not be adjusted to
> the light / darkness / whatever.

Yep, yep...

> I for one am against this kind of system, not for only because of my
> personal
> opinion, but because of logic.
> this system would seem, to me at least, contradict the very logic base on
> which
> we were at least supposed to be building majik on.

It does contradict logic, and I hope it has been made inexclusively
clear.
--
_/_
/Atte "Yorkaturr" Koivula <yorka@dlc.fi>