Re: Unidentified subject!

Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
From: Lari Kuitunen (myrsky@dlc.fi)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 19:51:16 EEST

----------
> From: Juha Jantunen <talgor@iki.fi>
> To: majik-design@majik.netti.fi
> Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
> Date: 17. elokuuta 1999 17:29
>
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:01:48 +0300 Lari Kuitunen <myrsky@dlc.fi> wrote:
> >> From: Juha Jantunen <talgor@iki.fi>
> >> ...but since one can learn any system one wants (?), is there much
point
> >> in doing this? Could simply be that magicians in a given region are
only
> >> using certain symbols for reasons other than "universal law"...
>Tradition,
> >> rules of society, the prefenreces of their god(s), or something...
> >the point in this system is, that since for example "healers" can't
learn
> >chaos-symbol,
> >healers won't be able to go around casting chaos bolts, and "mages"
won't
> >go around
> >casting heal the world spells. there is no "character class", there idea
is

> (Why not? Why restrict it?)

I think the original idea was that if all the symbols and spells were
easily accessible
to every spellcaster, it would not differ in any way from true-name magic.
everyone could blast powerful offensive spells AND heal mortally wounded,
and there would not be that much diversity since every spellcaster could do
the
same thing the next one (provided ofcourse that we are talking about proper
spellcasters
who have researched  their spells)

hence the idea of different sources of magic power, which leads to
different ways of
casting spells.
"mages" would cast spells very differently from for example "druids"
note the "" marks
since "mages" source of power would be academical in nature, where
"druids" source of power would derive from nature and elements.

- malekith