Re: Unidentified subject!

Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
From: Juha Jantunen (talgor@iki.fi)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 15:58:00 EEST

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:38:59 +0300 (EET DST) Atte Koivula <yorka@dlc.fi>
wrote:
>There is only one casting system and that is the 3-way
>magical symbol system introduced by Malekith. However,
>there are several subtypes (I don\'t care if there are 2,
>20 or 200 as long as all are fundamentally different),
>of magic such as elementalism, shamanism etc and they all
>are members of magical classes. These classes are: primal,
>academic, religious and divine.

Fundamentally different? Yet all based on the same thing? I wouldn't
consider that fundamentally different... ;) Well, I'd only consider primal
and academic one type and religious and divine one type, but as you say...

>The magical subsystems have limitations concerning what
>symbols are available. For example, elementalists might
>not have \"plantkind\", \"flesh\" and \"nature\" symbols.

...but since one can learn any system one wants (?), is there much point
in doing this? Could simply be that magicians in a given region are only
using certain symbols for reasons other than "universal law"... Tradition,
rules of society, the prefenreces of their god(s), or something...

>Also, the reason we have classes is that not all symbol
>types are available for all classes. Like divine magic

Ach... too much playing MUME again with its classless system. So Majik
WILL have character classes...? mmmm.... bad for the roleplaying
element... very artifical IMO... (if you meant something else, please,
explain it to poor stupid me... -_-')

>-users (truenames), can only use verbal symbols and primal
>magic users (shamans, druids) cannot use verbal symbols
>at all since speech is a logical tool for communication
>and primal magic is essentially ritualistic, meaning there
>are no principles or laws from which the truth (tm) can be
>derived from. People who know something about occultism
>should be familiar with this concept.

I am somewhat familiar with occultism... (but not very much ;) And I don't
see why verbal symbols would be excluded from primal magic. Song and
chants, my good man! Any shaman worth his salt is a good singer and
chanter... As someone said, different kinds of gestures and words will be
used in different kinds of magic for the same thing, so in primal magic
they should not be syllables or words, but perhaps a bit of melody,
imitating an animal or something like that...

>I will post something more specific later.

Please do... I'm getting confused. ;)

Juha Jantunen           | ========================== Talgor - Janus - Shifter
Keisarinmajantie 4 H 2  | ===== Minna baka. =============== Shadowrun - Magic
48230 Kotka             | ====================== Life - Universe - Everything