Re: Unidentified subject!

Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 23:30:37 EEST

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Lari Kuitunen wrote:

> I think the original idea was that if all the symbols and spells were
> easily accessible
> to every spellcaster, it would not differ in any way from true-name magic.
> everyone could blast powerful offensive spells AND heal mortally wounded,
> and there would not be that much diversity since every spellcaster could do
> the
> same thing the next one (provided ofcourse that we are talking about proper
> spellcasters
> who have researched  their spells)

It was originally diverse enough as the true names were scrambled. One
could find a fireball spell when another could find some heal spell and
those spells would be powerful and it would be rarer for a mage to have
more than a few spells. Thus it would create "frames" automatically,
one could be good in a fireball and a heal spell, another only in heal
spells, another full in offensive. Only limitation here is that they
couldn't know the spell they're trying to find until they have enough
knowledge of the magic (enough truenames) and then they would try to
guess it and in the future actually collect specific truenames to get
a specific spell. A nice system without needing any classes.

> hence the idea of different sources of magic power, which leads to
> different ways of
> casting spells.
> "mages" would cast spells very differently from for example "druids"
> note the "" marks
> since "mages" source of power would be academical in nature, where
> "druids" source of power would derive from nature and elements.

The players would anyways talk in a style "Do you have any druid
spells?", but it is fine enough. It would be better however if "druid"
type would be named as "nature" and mage types then "academic" or
whatever, except that I don't see adacemic magic relevant, there could
be types like "summoning" magic or "spirit" magic instead, or if not
magic types then name them as "sphere"'s as in AD&D priest system,
animal, astral, chaos, charm, combat, creation etc., except I still
would like a little less spheres than in AD&D system.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi