Re: same problem

Subject: Re: same problem
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Sat Aug 21 1999 - 12:13:51 EEST

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Rob Pryor wrote:

> You've missed the point... =]  The library *is* in place.  It's not missing,
> corrupt, evading, hiding, sulking, moaning and groaning, striking, marching,
> or anything....It's just sitting there, waiting to be called upon.  But I
> will take your advice on compiling it myself.  I'll give that a try tonight.

ldd ./majik and see what it says. It should tell you where it is trying to
find the library and does it find it or not. If the library is in place,
but the client isn't able to find it then you might want to try check your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or /etc/ld.so.conf and run a program
called ldconfig.

> On a side-note I been meaning to ask people for the past two days (and I
> will also cross-post to majik-devel) is about 3Dnow! and other
> optimizations.  Are these possible to fit in?  Do you think they would be
> worth it, or a waste of time? The basic core of Majik seems to be be
> inplace, and what a better time to turn around and dig back into it.. =] I'd
> like to hear some opinions from users of K6-2/3/K7/IDT processor users.
> Since I'm not (much) a programmer, I'm not exactly sure what level these
> optimizations would have to be incorperated into.  If someone wouldn't mind,
> I'd like to hear a learned opinion on this matter.  Thanks

I have no idea how we could do such low-level optimization while using
OpenGL, but that might be possible however since I've seen Crystal Space
using at least MMX optimization, hmm. It is not so urgent thing to ponder
at this point, yet. We'll have a whole milestone for optimization someday.

I've also heard some rumors that someone is already making such
optimizations directly to Mesa, it seems the most fitting place too. That
means we just have to wait or contribute some code to the Mesa project.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi