Re: WorldForge

Subject: Re: WorldForge
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 12:52:06 EEST

Bryce Harrington wrote:

> I encourage you to take a look at WorldForge - www.worldforge.org.
> Sounds like we share some similar goals.

Well, not so similar goals. The idea of creating multiplayer online
(or roleplaying?) world is similar, but then the others aren't.

  1) We are not going to maintain all the possible client types,
     only one. It is impossible to do a true 3D client for a
     text-based or 2D game so it would work right. One of our goals
     is to use a game engine that is realistic and not a bit
     restrictive, thus true 3D is our only choice. It is for example
     a little hard to emulate terrain elevations in a 2D or isometric
     world without kludging.

  2) We are not going to have multiple servers, only one with
     _consistent_ and well designed world. Our server isn't open source,
     it would break our goals if it would be. Unlike WorldForge's.

  3) We are not going to have a static world either. instead a dynamic
     world which write its own history - really.

I see WorldForge's goals: To create a GPL/LGPL game with total freedom
for anyone to do anything - that means it can be only a "generic" game
engine for people to do whatever world they want. That doesn't really
suit to our ideas.

When the WorldForge project begun, I was in - speaking to the founder
that there is already a project sharing quite similar ideas and
suggested
to combine our forces, but he apparently weren't interested. Now the
people are saying that we should join to WorldForge instead, like we
are being a new project trying to do the work that has been already
done. Hmpf.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi