Re: The Answer!!!?

Subject: Re: The Answer!!!?
From: Kaoru Shalamberidze (ttikka@icon.fi)
Date: Sat Nov 27 1999 - 13:37:25 EET

On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, Atte Koivula wrote:

> > - What is the cataclysms nature? Remarkably this has not been mentioned
> > in any of the descs proposed. All I've seen is a map made by McDuff.
>
> Brethel has begun making a better one, as it is destroys certain parts
> of the map we want to keep intact. The nature of the Cataclysm is simply
> chaotic destruction of certain areas, be it with a natural disaster like
> earthquakes, hurricanes, lava flows etc, and they are all caused by
> magic be it directly or indirectly. The acts of the wizards that is.

Yes the nature of cataclysm is all those that Yorka said, plus diseases,
weird accidents, unpredictable things and chaotic rumble on its way to
destruction.

> > - How do we destroy civilizations without effecting nature? We need
> > natural resources so the players can rebuild.
>
> The nature is pretty much destroyed around all major population centers,
> what the Cataclysm really affected were the mortals themselves, not
> their entire habitat. There are plenty natural resources left, when the
> Gods saw what was coming, they didn't intervene because they knew the
> mortals will only destroy themselves.

Yes, there still exists vast areas of land that are pretty much in normal
shape, more than enough resources to spare.

> > - Why do players not remember anything? As Beregar has pointed out PCs
> > will not, in a very real sense, know anything when they start the game.
>
> Maybe the magical nature of the Cataclysm made them forget, or maybe the
> rapid destruction shocked so much that they can't forget, or maybe the
> Gods made them forget to ensure a new start.

Any of these is a proper reason - the point is that the players wont know
what it was :).. Evidently the sages still DO remember all what happened.
Maybe there was a shock wave in the patterns that form mind, that caused
amnesia in massive scale.

> > - Why did the cataclysm effect some races and species (i.e. player
> > species) and not other NPC species?
>
> Pure coincidence. It did affect all races but some were affected more
> than others, the chaotic nature of the Cataclysm was in no way a planned
> holocaust of certain civilizations.

All races were affected more or less. Every monster race, even dragons got
their part. But of course they were able to fight back more since their
quite potent magical skills. They fought fire with fire and mostly
survived.

> > - You have to get every race and species and culture agreeing upon
> > worshiping a new god. WHY the hell would fanatical religious groups like
> > the Tore'e the Brahjians, the dwarves, the Hilosyph and the Althainions
> > just give up their worship of their beloved gods for some dumb ass
> > wizards? And then to join with their sometimes sworn enemies or complete
> > strangers to a path which the gods have warned leads to destruction?
>
> Why not? Don't you know history? There are numerous examples of strong
> dictators taking over the control in areas that once were fanatic in
> another sense, the pagan religions being converted into christianity is
> a good example. As Mandor pointed out, they didn't do it entirely
> voluntarily...

Yes why not? remember hitler? .. and besides the cabal of powerful wizards
doing good deeds for mankind and teaching new philosophy is a better
choice than the ignorant and distant gods from the mortals view. The cabal
is there among them - the gods are not. And yes much of the influence that
the cabal got did not come voluntarily.. of course there was people who
resisted Hitler in 2nd WW.. so there was people, educated scholars etc..
who resisted the cabal of wizards, but along the flow of time the cabal
won. And in its madness destroyed itself, along with their followers.

> > - The nature of the cataclysm is still vague. What the hell is all that
> > crap mandor wrote anyway? It tells nothing of what the cataclysm is. How
> > can designers write anything describing the world if we don't know if it
> > will be crater latter on when someone else gets around to describing
> > what the cataclysm actually is?
>
> What is this crap you are writing? The Cataclysm was simply CHAOS and
> DESTRUCTION, what more descriptions do you need?

Chaos and destruction = diseases, shockwaves in magical patterns, chaos in
magic, patterns of life, soul, mind and matter.. natural disasters,
madness.. everything.. The cabal of wizards really fucked up the world and
caused nice effects.. only those with very potent magical skills might
have survived in the mids of it all.  - someone like the sages.

> > - The gods are involved. Once again the gods have intervened and
> > destroyed the world. This is getting old. We are a hairs width away from
> > a desc that says "bear takes shit in woods gods intervene to prevent
> > catastrophe but let it happen any way because bear really needs to go.
> > So world is destroyed". Right now in the history of the majik world I
> > can count four craters on the map and 3 explosive type cataclysms that
> > have occurred. This is getting old there are three other Horsemen of
> > Apocalypse why don't we use a different one besides war.
>
> Why should I even answer this?? WAR was not the only force behind the
> Cataclysm, there were disease, hunger for power, pure hatred, demons
> being summoned from their ethereal plains...

And.. there also was a nice effect created after the gods decided not to
do a thing to stop humanity from destroying themselfs, after that all the
powerful demigod-level monsters came out of hiding and generously gave
their own part in the destruction :)..

.manDor