Re: The Answer!!!?

Subject: Re: The Answer!!!?
From: Atte Koivula (yorkaturr@majik3d.org)
Date: Sat Nov 27 1999 - 12:25:09 EET

> - What is the cataclysms nature? Remarkably this has not been mentioned
> in any of the descs proposed. All I've seen is a map made by McDuff.

Brethel has begun making a better one, as it is destroys certain parts
of the map we want to keep intact. The nature of the Cataclysm is simply
chaotic destruction of certain areas, be it with a natural disaster like
earthquakes, hurricanes, lava flows etc, and they are all caused by
magic be it directly or indirectly. The acts of the wizards that is.

> - How do we destroy civilizations without effecting nature? We need
> natural resources so the players can rebuild.

The nature is pretty much destroyed around all major population centers,
what the Cataclysm really affected were the mortals themselves, not
their entire habitat. There are plenty natural resources left, when the
Gods saw what was coming, they didn't intervene because they knew the
mortals will only destroy themselves.

> - Why do players not remember anything? As Beregar has pointed out PCs
> will not, in a very real sense, know anything when they start the game.

Maybe the magical nature of the Cataclysm made them forget, or maybe the
rapid destruction shocked so much that they can't forget, or maybe the
Gods made them forget to ensure a new start.

> - How will the current descs we have made be effected? This is still not
> known because the nature of the cataclysm has still not been described.

The current descs describe "What was" before the Cataclysm, and they
will be utilized in the sense that we take a desc, shake the details a
bit to integrate the effects of the Cataclysm, and slap it in the world.

> - Why did the cataclysm effect some races and species (i.e. player
> species) and not other NPC species?

Pure coincidence. It did affect all races but some were affected more
than others, the chaotic nature of the Cataclysm was in no way a planned
holocaust of certain civilizations.

> - You have to get every race and species and culture agreeing upon
> worshiping a new god. WHY the hell would fanatical religious groups like
> the Tore'e the Brahjians, the dwarves, the Hilosyph and the Althainions
> just give up their worship of their beloved gods for some dumb ass
> wizards? And then to join with their sometimes sworn enemies or complete
> strangers to a path which the gods have warned leads to destruction?

Why not? Don't you know history? There are numerous examples of strong
dictators taking over the control in areas that once were fanatic in
another sense, the pagan religions being converted into christianity is
a good example. As Mandor pointed out, they didn't do it entirely
voluntarily...

> - The nature of the cataclysm is still vague. What the hell is all that
> crap mandor wrote anyway? It tells nothing of what the cataclysm is. How
> can designers write anything describing the world if we don't know if it
> will be crater latter on when someone else gets around to describing
> what the cataclysm actually is?

What is this crap you are writing? The Cataclysm was simply CHAOS and
DESTRUCTION, what more descriptions do you need?

> - The gods are involved. Once again the gods have intervened and
> destroyed the world. This is getting old. We are a hairs width away from
> a desc that says "bear takes shit in woods gods intervene to prevent
> catastrophe but let it happen any way because bear really needs to go.
> So world is destroyed". Right now in the history of the majik world I
> can count four craters on the map and 3 explosive type cataclysms that
> have occurred. This is getting old there are three other Horsemen of
> Apocalypse why don't we use a different one besides war.

Why should I even answer this?? WAR was not the only force behind the
Cataclysm, there were disease, hunger for power, pure hatred, demons
being summoned from their ethereal plains...

> - If we use the McDuff map for the cataclysm then all species are
> effected not just PC races. So this means now I have to make a whole new
> desc for goblins to go along with the old one. And any new monster races
> we make have to be in two parts pre cataclysm monsters and post
> cataclysm monsters.

We don't use the map.

--
_/_