Re: The Answer!!!?

Subject: Re: The Answer!!!?
From: joshua 'hook' corning (hook@u.washington.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 27 1999 - 02:01:13 EET

Atte Koivula wrote:

> There is no problem, it is decided already.

"...it is decided already." What ever. The world has changed so much in
history and shape since I have joined the team that this statement is
mute. As to the problems of the Cataclysm they are obvious and many and
i shall list them below:

In General. These are problems that have not been addressed at all and
are innate to the cataclysm.

- What is the cataclysms nature? Remarkably this has not been mentioned
in any of the descs proposed. All I've seen is a map made by McDuff.

- How do we destroy civilizations without effecting nature? We need
natural resources so the players can rebuild.

- Why do players not remember anything? As Beregar has pointed out PCs
will not, in a very real sense, know anything when they start the game.

- How will the current descs we have made be effected? This is still not
known because the nature of the cataclysm has still not been described.

- Why did the cataclysm effect some races and species (i.e. player
species) and not other NPC species?

More specifically this is a response to the problems brought up by the
current model. Not only does the model entitled "cataclysm decided"
completely ignore the problems listed above it actually creates more
problems and they are listed below:

- We now have to create 3 different states of the world in three
different time periods. One for the current time of our original descs.
A second for the time just before the world blew up when the wizard
cults take over. and third a final one describing the world after the
cataclysm.

- Everyone remembers. The desc created completely ignores this problem.
Why don't the players remember anything?

- You have to get every race and species and culture agreeing upon
worshiping a new god. WHY the hell would fanatical religious groups like
the Tore'e the Brahjians, the dwarves, the Hilosyph and the Althainions
just give up their worship of their beloved gods for some dumb ass
wizards? And then to join with their sometimes sworn enemies or complete
strangers to a path which the gods have warned leads to destruction?

- The nature of the cataclysm is still vague. What the hell is all that
crap mandor wrote anyway? It tells nothing of what the cataclysm is. How
can designers write anything describing the world if we don't know if it
will be crater latter on when someone else gets around to describing
what the cataclysm actually is?

- The gods are involved. Once again the gods have intervened and
destroyed the world. This is getting old. We are a hairs width away from
a desc that says "bear takes shit in woods gods intervene to prevent
catastrophe but let it happen any way because bear really needs to go.
So world is destroyed". Right now in the history of the majik world I
can count four craters on the map and 3 explosive type cataclysms that
have occurred. This is getting old there are three other Horsemen of
Apocalypse why don't we use a different one besides war.

- If we use the McDuff map for the cataclysm then all species are
effected not just PC races. So this means now I have to make a whole new
desc for goblins to go along with the old one. And any new monster races
we make have to be in two parts pre cataclysm monsters and post
cataclysm monsters.

This is why I have proposed the "Answer!!?" to the cataclysm. It does
not cause the specific problems listed above and solves the general
ones. Perhaps it does cause problems that i do not see. It would be nice
if someone commented on it instead of shrugging it off like Yorkaturr
has.

Joshua 'hook' Corning
hook@majik3d.org