Re: Inventory system

Subject: Re: Inventory system
From: Ville V Sinkko (vsinkko@cc.helsinki.fi)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 10:16:06 EET

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Atte Koivula wrote:

> Gate. Now, my suggestion is an evolved version of these inventory
> systems. The first major change is that there are no inventory slots,
> ie. empty slots in which you can carry items that are not really placed
> anywhere. In this system a pouch of herbs takes as much space as a long
> spear etc, you know the drill. Instead, in Majik we have containers
> (box, sword sheath, quiver, backpack, sack) that are placed around the
> character's body in which all stuff is placed. Some container's can't be
> placed on the character's body but can only be carried in a person's
> hand.

We decided this over a year ago.

> Please comment on this.

It sounds OK just as long as the flashiness/chrome aspect (a la rotatable 3d
objects) doesn't get the upper hand of usability.

But OTOH if my memory serves the inventory system in Ultima VII was a PAIN.
The Majikian inventory system need not be all-graphical: the contents of a
container could be shown in a simple list which contains the names of the
items within, and perhaps a tiny (static) picture of the item next to the
name. This way the silly and unpractical graphical representation could be
avoided.

|a two-thirds full leather backpack   |
|<pic> a necrolytekiller's bone sword |
|<pic> 3 slices of elvish Melba toast |