Re: Starting locations

Subject: Re: Starting locations
From: Kim Kunnas (beregar@majik3d.org)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 09:55:31 EET

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, McDuff wrote:

> Orcs don't get along with anyone.  It's in the descs.  Elves get along with
> humans, reasonably well, but we don't know how well they get along with
> trolls/dwarves/necrolytes/catpeople yet.

Hmm, in WHAT desc?

> The people in the cataclysm are, as far as I'm aware, survivors.  This means
> that 1) they wake up nearish where they were BEFORE the cataclysm, so they
> would be in the same approximate social group, and 2) that they would still
> remember the situation as it was.

No, there are three starting locations and not all races which live
near eachother are "evil" or "good". Yes, but do players remember the
situation? Remember that we have real players playing those chars, so
if they don't remember time before cataclysm (how could they remember
since they haven't played before it) they really don't know how things
were until someone tells it to them.

> As for the cataclysm itself, no-one appears to have had any ideas on the
> situation yet.  I've been studying the map, and have an approximate idea of
> where the people will be when they start (although I can't find Thome in
> Voran).  I also recall that when Beregar and I were working through all the
> regions and weather we used "background magic" in the same way you would use
> "background radiation," normally to make stuff easier for us.  There was
> also something along the lines of magic being the initial "building
> material" from which all other stuff was created.  I don't know how this has
> been affected by the "pattern changing" I read about.  My view was always
> that magic was a kind of raw energy, almost beyond energy, behind everything
> else, keeping the world together, and that the skill of using magic was the
> skill of being able to focus this energy into something coherent.  If this
> works, then my idea for the cataclysm fits into this, and is as follows:

Magic is no longer energy, it's patterns. There has been two cataclysms.
Simpliest solution would be that some "pattern" ceased to exist and all
things related to it dissapeared or were damaged or something.

- Beregar (Beregar@majik3d.org)