Re: Starting locations

Subject: Re: Starting locations
From: McDuff (mcduff@iname.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 15:03:12 EET

>We are just assuming that elves like to "stick with" elves/humans/smurfs
>It's up to Mandor decide how elves will react. Your assumptions(sp) are
>based on general fantasy setting which says elves are pointed-eared(sp)?
>immortal orc haters who look down every other race except their own.

Orcs don't get along with anyone.  It's in the descs.  Elves get along with
humans, reasonably well, but we don't know how well they get along with
trolls/dwarves/necrolytes/catpeople yet.

>Considering we just had cataclysm it's unlikely that humans know how
>orcs/elves/smurfs behave and thus won't react their presence badly
>before orcs/elves/smurfs start killing them.

The people in the cataclysm are, as far as I'm aware, survivors.  This means
that 1) they wake up nearish where they were BEFORE the cataclysm, so they
would be in the same approximate social group, and 2) that they would still
remember the situation as it was.

As for the cataclysm itself, no-one appears to have had any ideas on the
situation yet.  I've been studying the map, and have an approximate idea of
where the people will be when they start (although I can't find Thome in
Voran).  I also recall that when Beregar and I were working through all the
regions and weather we used "background magic" in the same way you would use
"background radiation," normally to make stuff easier for us.  There was
also something along the lines of magic being the initial "building
material" from which all other stuff was created.  I don't know how this has
been affected by the "pattern changing" I read about.  My view was always
that magic was a kind of raw energy, almost beyond energy, behind everything
else, keeping the world together, and that the skill of using magic was the
skill of being able to focus this energy into something coherent.  If this
works, then my idea for the cataclysm fits into this, and is as follows:

A Magical Meltdown.  In the same way that Chernobyl caused havoc around the
world, a gigantic explosion caused by a breakdown in the structures that
held it together, in a certain part of the world, would cause havoc around
the world of Majik.  This would have several points in its favour:

1) it would have an Epicentre where there would be a "no-mans land," like
the area after a meltdown where you can't go because of radiation, this
place would have a very high cost to go there.  All the animals and trees
would be altered, like genetic mutation, and we could have great fun with
various "tears in the fabric of reality" created here.

2)  we could preserve materials and resources by using a decrease in effects
from the epicentre, and also by using line of sight.  ie, a certain area on
the other side of the Chain of the Sledgehammer would be relatively
untouched, but one side of the mountains would be melted and twisted,
because it took the brunt of the blast.  Similarly, the dwarves living
underground would feel the shockwave, but because of the thickness of the
rock wouldn't suffer many ill effects.  This provides a realistic trade-off
between destroying enough things and leaving enough materials to make
rebuilding realistic.

3)  it would give the sages another reason to exist.  If they were here as
"maintenence engineers," appointed by the Gods so they could get on with the
smiting, and wherever they were was a key point, like a joint or something,
that was needed so that the magic could flow to where it was needed and keep
the world together.  If one Sage went away and did the equivalent of let the
pilot light go out, the explosion would naturally occur.  This could also
allow natural pressure leaks, like magical geysers, at other points in the
system.

4)  this would also give a reason for the sages to have set up "havens"
around where they were.  They would have noticed that the "flow" had
stopped, their automatic warning systems would have tripped, and their
magical protection would have come on automatically.  If we position sages
strategically, then we can preserve quite a few things.

I've included a map with the approximate positions of where I think the
explosion could have occurred, where the most beneficial havens would be,
the starting positions of races, where the most/least damaged areas could be
etc etc.  I think that if the primary explosion was at the top of the
mountain on Estrean this would get the two agreed upon starting points.  We
could have secondary blasts of lower magnitude at Nemen (on island to west
of circle sea) and at the southern tip of the mountains of malediction, so
this would get the elves in Sol'daran, and the starting position at
Silvercreek (supposing it's there).  On the map, the bit with the blue
border that's whited out is the bit that will be blasted, with decreasing
effects as it gets further away from the sources, which are the yellow/black
bits.  The red marked areas are where players will start, and the purple
circles mark "havens"

Comments please?

McDuff