Re: About stat system..

Subject: Re: About stat system..
From: Atte Koivula (yorkaturr@majik3d.org)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 19:17:45 EET

> Religious magic is not channeling, it is something placed inside you: Your
> Might. The truenames (real magic) then are channeling and for them you
> would need Consititution and the truename magic are very hard to learn and
> the constitution would be just a small modifier, if your constitution
> fails, the spell can kill you. Willpower is an another stat that could be
> used for this. In any case, I tried to say that it is not so unbalanced if
> using it would be rare and hard to learn. In Majik, we don't really have
> 50% of fighters and 50% of magic-users (religious included), instead we
> more likely have most of them just ordinary (non magic-users as primary
> profession) people, adventurers, fighters or whatever that may all posses
> religious magic to some degree or are at least in some way involved with
> their gods. Real mages are rare but powerful.

I fail to see how the stress of channeling magic is harder on the body
than the mind. The way I see the process of channeling is that the magic
user first receives the magical energy needed for magic from some
external source, then handles it in his mind and decides how to direct
it (willpower is needed here), and then blasts away. Sure the intense
concentration could stress the body as well but the mind is the key
element. And remember that we do not only have "true names", we still
have 3 types of symbols: gestures, words and materials, and specialized
people who like to do different things with magic.
--
_/_
/Atte "Yorkaturr" Koivula <yorkaturr@majik3d.org>