Re: About stat system..

Subject: Re: About stat system..
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik3d.org)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 18:55:02 EET

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Ari Miettinen wrote:

> >Do we really need a stat for learning rate?
> I don't know. That was just one of the suggested attributes. It would
> affect things you remember from reading books and hearing stories:
> Dragon Lore, Devil Lore, Legend Lore and so on..

Learning rate can be used for checking how well you learn Lore's by
reading books and otherwise we will use the RL person's Memory attribute.

> >> - Empathy (EMP)		Potential to sense, what other people think
> >>                               / feel emotionally
> >
> >I would like to see some examples in what kind of skills the Empathy stat
> >really could be used.
> Just about all social skills, for example:
> Leadership, Diplomacy, Interrogation, Seduction, Sense Deception

Do we really need a skill for all those? Those are much that the RL person
does. I don't really want to "use diplomacy at aluna" as I can't really
specify in that what I really want to speak of. Same for all else.

> *shrugs* That would increase Constitution's importance a lot, probably
> making it much more important than most of the other stats => out of balance.
> .. Yes, I know most of you think that balance is unnecessary, well, imo
> you are wrong.

Religious magic is not channeling, it is something placed inside you: Your
Might. The truenames (real magic) then are channeling and for them you
would need Consititution and the truename magic are very hard to learn and
the constitution would be just a small modifier, if your constitution
fails, the spell can kill you. Willpower is an another stat that could be
used for this. In any case, I tried to say that it is not so unbalanced if
using it would be rare and hard to learn. In Majik, we don't really have
50% of fighters and 50% of magic-users (religious included), instead we
more likely have most of them just ordinary (non magic-users as primary
profession) people, adventurers, fighters or whatever that may all posses
religious magic to some degree or are at least in some way involved with
their gods. Real mages are rare but powerful.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik3d.org https://majik3d-legacy.org