Re: [Fwd: An idea...(considering gods and their avatars)]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: An idea...(considering gods and their avatars)]
From: joshua 'hook' corning (hook@u.washington.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 12:47:01 EET

Atte Koivula wrote:

> --
> _/_
> /Atte "Yorkaturr" Koivula <yorkaturr@majik3d.org>

> Subject: Re: An idea...(considering gods and their avatars)
> Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:46:58 +0200
> From: Sinister Serpent <sinister.serpent@sci.fi>
> To: yorkaturr@majik3d.org
>
> Atte Koivula wrote:
> > I came up with an idea when I was out smoking in the -10 temperature.
> > What
> > if the Gods couldn't physically enter the mortal dimension of Majik
> > without
> > being summoned by a mortal follower with some complex ritual?
> >
> > I think it would nicely restrict the amount of harm the Gods could do in
> > the world, and you all probably know the old cliché about a crazy
> > fanatic
> > priest calling a powerful evil spirit through some dimensional gate, and
> > the adventurers who are sent to stop the process before it's too late...
> > or
> > else the world will be destroyed etc (some examples of this are Elric,
> > and
> > the tv-show Xena, and the movie Conan the Destroyer). Also, it would
> > motivate the mortals to learn religious magic as they would have a
> > chance
> > to meet their God who would reward them for such allegiance. And if the
> > mortal follower of another God could then banish the God to the
> > spiritrealm
> > once again, it would encourage religious wars etc. I mean like, the
> > Archbishop of Evil calls me upon the world, then the priests of Dazzt
> > find out I'm present, by noticing some great disturbance in the Force
> > (:P), and run around trying to catch my mortal form and cast a powerful
> > Dispel Evil on me, and they would also send a group of great paladins to
> > rid the world of my priests so that they couldn't commit such crime
> > again. Meanwhile, the Evil Gods would send some undead/demon army to
> > attack all good temples on the world so that no-one could harm me etc.
> > And the God would be in the world for as long as he/she would get
> > banished temporarily.
> >
> > The Gods would still have their mundane avatars hidden in some (un)holy
> > places around the world, but they would be just very very tough NPCs
> > unless
> > the Gods' spirits would control them.
>
> Yes, this sounds very good indeed. First I thought that "What the hell?
> What happened to the Avatars?" but they were explained here, too.
> And those examples were very good indeed (I remember especially that
> summoning in Conan the Destroyer -movie and that really was great).
> But back to the point...
> I think that Avatars should not exists in the world as npc's ever,
> instead, these avatars would be these "summonable" creatures and avatars
> of really powerful gods (at least gods and greater gods) could enter the
> world by themselves in certain occasions (ie. maybe there is a great war
> [...]

One idea for the differences between summoned avatars and god comming to
earth avatars is that it costs alot of god-points (i forgot the real
name) for a god to come to mortal plain at will but if they are summoned
it costs little or no points. This way if a lesser god wants to make it
to mortal plain he can get some sap to help him out. But the elder gods
have enough points to do it but at a great cost.

I would also like to stress that it should be very hard to summon a god.
Special componants are needed (like in conan it was that horn thing and
it had to be placed on the statue at a certian time) and a good well
learned priest should have to be there. Im sure there are more ways to
make this hard for mortals to do but i can't think of any at the moment.

Joshua 'hook' corning
hook@majik3d.org