Re: radical departure

Subject: Re: radical departure
From: Taneli Niko Tikka (ttikka@icon.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 16:18:48 EET

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, joshua 'hook' corning wrote:

> NPCs will not be controlled by a DM like they are in paper games like
> d&d they will be AI driven. AI is dumb there is always a way to outsmart
> AI and the players will figure it out quick. Also many NPCs will be
> unarmed peasants players will get a sword and hack them down then burn
> their house. the only way to truly police players from doing this is for
> other players to do it. The only way a player will police other players
> is if the society they are policing is natural to the game and not an
> artificial construct dictated by the designers.

we have no need to make every peasant smart. They arent the powerful
forces behind society. Only those that matter have to be atleast a little
bit smarter. If you kill peasants you will get alot of enemies, soon the
whole local village is after you. After that the local lord if after you
for killing his peasants.. maybe one peasant had a cousin that is a
powerful experienced adventurer, and now his after you too.

.m