Re: radical departure

Subject: Re: radical departure
From: joshua 'hook' corning (hook@u.washington.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 13:48:00 EET

Pekka Toppi wrote:

> I dont understand one thing: why are you so afraid that players will
> destroy everything? Cities have guards and newbie players won't stand a
> chance in fair combat.

NPCs will not be controlled by a DM like they are in paper games like
d&d they will be AI driven. AI is dumb there is always a way to outsmart
AI and the players will figure it out quick. Also many NPCs will be
unarmed peasants players will get a sword and hack them down then burn
their house. the only way to truly police players from doing this is for
other players to do it. The only way a player will police other players
is if the society they are policing is natural to the game and not an
artificial construct dictated by the designers.

Joshua hook corning
hook@majik3d.org