Re: history and background (was: radical departure)

Subject: Re: history and background (was: radical departure)
From: Sinister Serpent (sinister.serpent@sci.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 14:44:44 EET

Otso Makinen wrote:

> > Pekka Toppi wrote:
> > >
> > > Okay, so there is a problem, but IMO the solution is not
> > starting with an
> > > empty world.
> > >
> > > Pekka Toppi / Mirithil
> >
> > Hmpf. I have not read all the conversation since I am too
> > busy for that,
> > so I am not quite sure I am talking about the same thing as
> > you are, but
> > I would like to toss my ideas into the conversation as well.
> > It should be obvious that we NEED a history for the world.
> > That does not
> > mean that we need to have a fully-described history and background for
> > all the things in the world. If we would "open" the game for
> > players as
> > if it was the day 1 since the froom crashed it would take
> > YEARS in REAL
> > TIME and we still would not have decent history for the world.
> > And if the players would be the first humans on earth, they would
> > probably live in stone-age (or whatever it is in Majik) and have no
> > tools or anything, and especially not magic and such things
> > for it would
> > be totally ridiculous that gods would have given humans (and other
> > races) the knowledge of tools, fire, magic and so on since
> > the first day
> > they lived on Majik.
> > Majik is basically no execption to all role-playing games
> > when it comes
> > to history and science: there is already some sort of history, myths,
> > legends, places, beings etc. when the player characters start
> > their life
> > in the world of Majik. The same goes for science. It is assumed that
> > there is some kind of science in Majik which may or may not
> > explain some
> > of the things and phenomenon happening/existing in Majik. Those which
> > are not explained in anyway (were the explanation a divine
> > power, magic
> > or a force of nature) do not necessarily NEED an explanation.
> > PC's (and
> > why not npc's, too?) may create their own explanations for
> > these things
> > that happen and exist in Majik but they do not have to. We
> > will not and
> > can NOT include and create all the needed information about the world
> > for pc's and players for it is impossible, even if we had all
> > the people
> > in the world doing Majik.
> > Conclusion: we should have a some kind of history for the world.
> > Creating Majik without a history will be a lot harder task
> > with all the
> > problems we would encounter when trying to explain all the things with
> > all kind of (illogical) explanations.
> >
> > I hope my writing made some sense to you. If not, forget it
> > and move on
> > or ask if you have any questions or feedback.
>
> If we start relatively shortly after the wars between ancients, we will have
> [...]

Ok. Are/is this wars/war described somewhere or is it something which
just happened and nobody knows more about it?
I am asking just because I am curious, not because I might actually
write anything.
--
  |           ~ Sinister / Serpent of Nightside ~           |
  | <sinister.serpent@sci.fi> http://i.am/sinister.serpent/ |