Re: radical departure

Subject: Re: radical departure
From: Kim Kunnas (beregar@majik3d.org)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 08:55:23 EET

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, joshua 'hook' corning wrote:

> Yes you are right they are interesting but why should we impose upon the
> players what these myths are. Let them invent them and see which idea
> wins out by selection. This way many different ideas and myths can
> coexist about the same phenominon within the world of majik. I mean if
> we tell the players what the origians of phenomina are without any code
> to back it up then theyb are just books in libraires what will prevent
> the players from writting a conflicting myth or burning the book or
> burning the library. Creating these myths seem like a waste of time if
> they are only to change or be lost and forgotten. Do you want to
> constantly remide people of what these myths are when they don't care or
> have their own ideas about them?

Are you saying there shouldn't be myths until the players invent them?
I'm just wondering what your people have been doing that 10000 years.
No-one has probably written how their kings have fought bravely and
how Gods helped them etc etc. Remember, most early histories and "facts"
are myths and legends. Why? Because people have created their myths
and believe in them. IMHO without myths and legends there can't be
history.

- Beregar Dar'Eldath  (Beregar@majik3d.org)