Re: underlight

Subject: Re: underlight
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik3d.org)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 16:55:34 EEST

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Atte Koivula wrote:

> I am getting quite concerned with all the upcoming 3d rpg\'s.

Majik should have been commercial from the beginning. Now we just suck. We
would need like 10x more designers and developers. See, one person doing
Majik as a job for 8 hours in a day is almost same as 50 people doing it
randomly. And for a project like this we need more than one developer...

Disadvantages of non-profit:

  - We need a huge base of developers because people have their real lifes
    and day jobs or studies and thus they can't give much more than few
    hours in a week.
  - If one begins to do something and doesn't finish it in a time, it
    stalls the whole project because other projects may depend on its
    completion.
  - One doing the project only randomly can't know everything and keep up
    with the development and thus consistency suffers and it is harder for
    one to do something after a period of idling.

Then compare it to a commerial. It would take only half a year to get
Majik out and retail, compared to that we need still _years_ to complete
Majik as a non-profit with our current developer base, if no miracles
happen.

For me Majik is only an good alternative for studies. I learn programming,
coordination and much more. I don't really expect to see Majik in retail
stores with this development model, but it would be fun to see at least
one city out there :)

If we however want to improve our productivity, only way is just to invite
more developers to join the project or get the others to do more stuff in
less time. The latter two of the disadvantages listed are then for me to
learn more of organizing skills, we have already tried few very good
models, but they didn't work very well because of the disadvantage #1.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik3d.org https://majik3d-legacy.org