Re: Magic

Subject: Re: Magic
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 17:27:31 EEST

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Juha Jantunen wrote:

> Also, I've read through the Majik web pages and found quite little about
> the world itself... It could help me to get the "feel" of the world and
> what kind of spells might be appropriate. This of course is not of great
> importance, but if there is some file ready that describes the world,
> peoples, etc. that is not on the web pages, I'd like to read it...

There is no one, do it. I have waited it for years, still all attempts
have failed. It is not a simple task but actually the _overview_ of the
world should fit in few pages, maybe even one is enough. This is of
utmost importance.

> And what of the priests? Is their magic similiar to the "ordinary" magic,
> or are they dependant completely on the favour of their chosen deities? I
> understand they, and anyone else, can learn "normal" magic if they choose,
> so it's not such a big issue.

All these questions should be answered in the overview you're making. Read
all the articles from http://majik.netti.fi/archive/majik-design/threads.html,
the articles with subject "gods in majik" and "priests in majik" should
help you with this question.

> And lastly, what about a substance-based magic? Potions, items and such
> which produce magical effects? Has anything like that been planned?

No, and also there is not yet decided for real as far as I can remember
where the magic comes from and why. The mortals may not need to know
about it (except that I would like it that way), but I think it is
important anyways. I don't think it too great if magic works in a way,
"when you do this, this happens", instead the magic users should know
more of it; are they channeling some power or what.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi