Magic

Subject: Magic
From: Juha Jantunen (talgor@iki.fi)
Date: Mon Aug 16 1999 - 16:42:01 EEST

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:55:41 +0300 Lari Kuitunen <myrsky@dlc.fi> wrote:
>magic-system is mostly designed, it is based on symbols and every mortal
>can
>and probably has to research spells in order to find them.
>spells are formed from several symbols which each symbolize different
>aspect, for example
>water, fire, soul, matter, etc. etc.

Ahh, my favourite Dungeon Master-style, excellent. I always considered it
one of the best magic systems in computer RPGs, quite versatile. Very
good!

>what we require at this point is:
>list of all spells that are to be implemented to the world of majik.
>this list should include all the usual spells that come to mind,
>for example fireball, which every mage will want to research, it being the
>traditional
>spell that most know of, and, addition to these "rip-off" spells, we should
>have a list of those unique weird spells that only world of majik has.
>the list should include some documentation on what the given spell does,
>and perhaps a slight suggestion on how the spell will accomplish this.

I'll get on it. I've developed some pretty weird spells for my own
Shadowrun campaign, I'll include some of them if you don't mind... I'm
quite sure I can come up with a fair amount, with documentation...

>after we have compiled the list, probably me and mandor will
>translate the spells to symbols, and, to create a solid logic-base
>for the combinations, only few persons should do this to avoid
>confusion in logic of the spell-combinations.

Hmm... If you don't mind, I would like the list of symbols, if there is
one. I could do some of the spells from just thinking about which symbols
to combine (as I did in Dungeon Master quite successfully). Of course you
have the final authority on how to combine the symbols (runes?) into
spells, but I could get some ideas from them.

Also, I've read through the Majik web pages and found quite little about
the world itself... It could help me to get the "feel" of the world and
what kind of spells might be appropriate. This of course is not of great
importance, but if there is some file ready that describes the world,
peoples, etc. that is not on the web pages, I'd like to read it...

And what of the priests? Is their magic similiar to the "ordinary" magic,
or are they dependant completely on the favour of their chosen deities? I
understand they, and anyone else, can learn "normal" magic if they choose,
so it's not such a big issue.

And lastly, what about a substance-based magic? Potions, items and such
which produce magical effects? Has anything like that been planned?

Juha Jantunen           | ========================== Talgor - Janus - Shifter
Keisarinmajantie 4 H 2  | ===== Minna baka. =============== Shadowrun - Magic
48230 Kotka             | ====================== Life - Universe - Everything
Finland                 | ======== Anime - Manga - Babylon 5 - Trek - Sandman