Re: Elves

Subject: Re: Elves
From: McDuff (mcduff@iname.com)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 13:46:24 EEST

>hmm.. what do you mean. every single scociety has status levels. Just like
>our modern 21st :) century earth human society. We have actors,
>moviestars, media people, celebrities, mayors, governors, senators,
>parliament members, ministers, presidents and such.. even big copporate
>heads like the chairman of nokia mobile phones have status. Think of Bill
>Clinton having status 7, Bill Gates having atleast 5,

Hang on, you think that Bill Clinton is more powerful than Bill Gates?  How
naive of you.  Bill Gates is, quite possibly, the antichrist and he, not
Clinton (who couldn't even blag his way out of a marital indiscretion
without starting a war) controls America.

..and Bruce Willis
>having 4 or something :).. people react better towards those with better
>status, they are more eager to help them, and do things for them.
>Elves have both.. the normal medival status PLUS the status coming from
>their birth-tribe.. wood elven king is higher in status than a regular
>fair elf.. but a fair elven king is higher than wood elven king.

Which works in one society, but if the elves are spread out over the world,
it's gonna be a lot more complicated than that.  What I meant was, there is
never a real "pre-set" status that everyone pays attention to.  People earn
respect.  This might be different among the elves, but if the culture can
produce dark elves then it can be corrupted in other ways.

>Less than once a month makes it a bit hard for a player moon elf to move
>from his home to the world.. specially if his starting location is going
>to be this city in the clouds =)..  but what ever..

It could make it a very special occurrence :))

I've run a simple astronomical simulation, but it's a 10mb zip so if anyone
wants it they'll have to mail me and I'll post it to ftp.  I didn't think
people would appreciate a 1hr long download!

>Yep i thought that with moon elves.. something like their cloud city could
>exists in reality in other dimension.. or even another planet, or some of
>the moons of majik..

They could live on Narcos, the Dark moon, and be accessible every time it
eclipsed the sun, which in the current model is fairly regularly, about
eight times a year for a day or so at a time.

>Harmful iron typically comes with faeries.. little sprites and alike..
>hmm.. but it could be one handy disadvantage to balance the tribes.. the
>more higher tribe the more iron hurts.. Common elves or wood elves would
>not suffer from it much, but fair elves would fear iron.

For those of you who think this is just a plain ripoff, the reasoning behind
the elves fear of iron is fairly new in my suggestions - they have a sixth
sense, like swallows and trout but more powerful, and are guided by "The
Love of Iron", a force which has been noticed by blacksmiths in certain
rocks, but no-one else has found useful in Majik because magic does the same
things.  Where there is iron, the elf can, depending on his dependence on
the sixth sense, feel like he is buried in earth.  Even a common elf would
have great difficulty picking an iron lock, because his senses would be
numbed.  A fair elf would die as soon as he was stabbed with an iron knife,
it would interfere with his body like a poison, but of course he would know
about the presence of iron long before it hit him, and he would be able to
either leave or disable his attacker quickly.

>I dont recall saying that they are the best =P.. if i did sorry. They are
>good however, a few centuries old hugely skilled alchemist-smith can make
>quite good swords. And dwarfs dont use that much magic as their aid?.. or
>do they.

You said that they had devoted their lives to being the best - sorry,
obviously they would never reach Dwarf Master Blacksmith skill, even if they
tried for 2000 years.  (A Dwarf Master Blacksmith can cold shoe an ant, and
it is said that Death's scythe was forged by the first Dwarven Blacksmith  -
bit of folklore I just thought I'd throw in for Yorkaturr there :))) )

Are the elves more or less sorted now?  If so, can we please have some info
on the Trolls please, Yorkaturr, even if it's just in bits and not very
readable.  Just to give us some ideas?

McDuff