Re: Race designing request

Subject: Re: Race designing request
From: Brant Clabaugh (powdertoast@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 1999 - 06:33:54 EEST

Any possibility of having a design team that works on concepts brought
in from outside their team as well as their own ideas?

I'd love to build some tribes and/or races up, but I don't have the
time now to do the mapping and such that it sounds like you are asking
for.

-Brant

--- Beregar <beregar@majik.netti.fi> wrote:
> [...]
> inactive. It seems that when development is in point that it would
> require
> designed world, design has almost nothing to offer. Currently we need
> race/tribe and region design, mostly race and tribe design because we
> have too few player races and for example humans have currently only
> one tribe.
>
> If you want design a race/tribe you must also design area where they
> live or then find someone to design it. When you design a race you
> must make it somehow interesting and roleplayable. It shouldn't be
> too powerful but also not too weak. If you design a human tribe it is
> wise to remember that common humans generally suck - we don't
> have any level advantages or something similar in Majik which make
> humans good in AD&D and similar games. So, When you design a
> human tribe make them for example excellent traders, however, you
> shouldn't give them any special innate abilities because then they
> are
> no longer humans.
>
> It is recomended to design human tribe or at least player race. It
> is almost imposible to avoid ripoffs and we already have few races
> with ripped features, though it is acceptable as long as it's not
> directly from some book. If you are not willing to design a race
> or describe region but still want help we need people to typocheck
> race descs (especially I need since my English sucks).
>
> I'll attach one of my own race descs, you should be able to make
> at least that good desc or preferably better (it's not typochecked
> or complete yet as you can see when you read it :). So, if you are
> interested in race/tribe designing contact me and I'll send you
> further instructions.
>
> - Beregar (Beregar@majik.netti.fi)
> >       Sisalto
>
>    1. Introduction
>    2. Appearance
>       2.1 Clothing
>       2.2 Weapons & Armors
>    3. Culture
>       3.1 Castes
>       3.2 Sahid
>       3.3 Mahdi
>       3.4 Food & Trade
>    4. Religion
>    5. Language
>    6. Ghalimcar
>    7. Roleplaying
>
> 1. Introduction
>
>    Brahjians are one of the most toughest race in Majik for they have
> chosen to live in area
>    which other races have discarded uninhabitable - the Desert of
> Ghalimcar. It is unsure whe
>    ter Brahjians have evolved from same ancestors as northern humans,
> but they are unquestio
>    nably humans. Most Brahjians have dark, almost bluish, hairs and
> gleaming black eyes. Both
>    sexes are about 180cm tall and slender, but strong. Brahjians tend
> to wear robes and wrap
>    veil around their head so that only gleaming eyes are visible.
This
> efficiently prevents
>    outsiders from separate both sexes from eachother. Color of fabric
> and decorations show in
>    dividuals status in society.
>
>    It is imposible to live in burning desert without water and lack
of
> water has made Brah
>    jians masters in art of water finding. They are also very adapt in
> magic and especially re
>    ligious magic but Tsuhad, the magician caste, has also major part
in
> the life of society.
>    Brahjians society is highly based on magic for using magic is
often
> only way for society
>    to survive in desert. Magic is not only used in finding or
creation
> of water and food but
>    also in creation exotic magical goods. If something can't be made
> by normal means, magic
>    is used.
>
>    Brahjians form small tent societys which can have from few dozens
of
> to hundred persons.
>    These societies travel from oasis to oasis after food and water,
> only the largest socie
>    ties have permanent magical cities called "Mahdi" which are
usually
> made from marble or
>    bronze with power of Tsudath Mahaire, the lords of the earth.
> Leaders of tent societies,
>    Sahid, are called as "Sahid Mahaire" which means lord of the tents
> and magical cities are
>    ruled by "Mahadare" council of magicians, who often are members of
> same group who created
>    the city.
>
> 2. Appearance
>
>    Living in the desert where food and water sources are rare has
made
> Brahjians durable
>    and untiring people. Lack of water and constant travelling has
given
> Brahjians slender
>    and strong body. Parching sun has given them olive colored skin.
All
> [...]
> by boiling them.
>
>    Brahjians wear slippers called "Saya" in their feet. They have
been
> mainly made from shu
>    rawari like most clothes which Brahjians wear. Slippers have three
> layers in the sole,
>    two outer layers are made from shurawari and they have thick
cotton
> layer between them to
>    make it easier run over sand. Saya leave only little tracks on the
> sand.
>
>    Girdle which is used to tie the robe is not only decorations but
> it's also one of the ma
>    jor signs of inviduals place in society. The more decorated and
> valuable material the mo
>    re wealthy and higher status person has. the girdle itself is
> usually made from  shurawari
>    and decorated with embroiderys and has usually precious gems,
> jewels and pieces of metal.
>    The most high-ranked or rich persons have usually girdle that is
> completelly made from so
>    me soft metal, like silver, and some may be made even from steel.
> However, most valuable
>    are those which have rare most rare materials like pearls and
amber
> which do not exist in
>    desert. These valuable girdles are known as "Khajid" and besides
> showing individuals posi
>    tion in society, they have also more practical uses. Brahjians
> often tie pounches to gird
>    les where they hold their items. Also, Khajid is one of those rare
> items which are valuab
>    le enough to hold canteens of water. "Baggarat" and "Ghazali" are
> also carried in the
>    girdles.
>
>    Besides Jalara, Hunain, Saya and Khajid, Brahjians use earrings,
> rings, bangles and pen
>    dants. Large amount of decoration and materials used in them shows
> that person is wealthy
>    and have high status in the society. Silver, steel and gold and
> precious gems are again
>    most popular.
>
> 2.2        Weapons & Armors
>
>    Brahjians use rarely any other weapons than Baggarat and Ghazali.
> Baggarat is about 60cm
>    long and 0.8kg weighting one-handed sabre which is completely
> created by using magic that
>    makes it very sharp and durable. Hilt is usually made of bone and
> like blade, is undecora
>    ted. Baggarat can be used either as slashing or piercing weapon.
> Ghazali, which means ta
>    lon of the desert snake, is about 40cm long and 0.4 kg weighting
> dagger with double-cur
>    ved, double-edged blade. As Baggarat, Ghazali is completelly made
by
> using magic, which
>    makes it very sharp and durable. The blade is decorated with
images
> of desert snake and
>    hilt is shaped in form of snake which curls around the hand.
Ghazali
> is mainly used as
>    piercing weapon but it can be also used as slashing weapon though
> not as efficiently. Gha
>    zali often has strong enchantment which cause poison like effects
> and pain that reminds
>    bite of the desert snake. Though every member of tribe has either
of
> these weapons only
>    sand warriors and Religious brotherhoods use both weapons.
Brahjians
> do not use bows but
>    they often place couple of Chakrams above headband which keeps
> Hunain it's in place. Reli
>    gious brotherhoods and sand warriors are masters in art of Chakram
> throwing.
>
>    Brahjians do not wear armors for it takes too much energy to move
in
> one and even worse,
>    make their wearers sweat. A Person wearing an armor dies as
quickly
> in desert as person
>    who does not protect himself from sun with clothes. While
Brahjians
> do not use any real
>    armors, they might use thick cotton or metal arm protectors under
> they clothes which are
>    used to block sword slashes.
>
> 3. Culture
>
>    Brahjians are honorable and proud people. They are suspicious
> towards strangers but not of
>    fensive - they simply seem to ignore strangers until they make
> something to reach their at
>    tention. They praise rituals, ceremonies and competitions which
> nature is such that it be
>    nefits the society. Brahjians are disciplined people, they have
very
> strict rules about
>    how to behave and live. Brahjians usually hide their emotions
except
> in few situations li
>    ke holy wars and act of worshipping. While Brahjian are honest to
> everyone they often deci

=== message truncated ===