Re: Suggest Birth System in Majik

Subject: Re: Suggest Birth System in Majik
From: Sinister (sinister@kaapeli.net)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 12:40:54 EET

Jarom Kahuroa wrote:

> I would expect that things like whisper and just talking in general
> would be actual speech, by a microphone etc.  So that in order to
> whisper, you would actually have to take the person(s) you want to
> talk to out of earshot of others.
>
> This would allow stealthy PCs (and NPCs I guess) to sneak up and
> overhear, although how a NPC would hear is beyond me (speech
> recognition?), for example a dwarf with bells in his beard would be
> heard jingling if he wasn't careful.

This is not a good idea since people who are not fluent in English would
have twice the problems they would otherwise have with the language.
This is no problem for those whose mother tongue is English, but for
others I find this very bad idea.

> I can imagine this would be difficult to implement, for example attenuation
> would probably be a prick to code.  Then deciding who should actually get
> the audio stream, and the bandwidth it would all take (IPv6 has good
> multicastability, and it may be in widespread use by the time majik is
> released :-P j/k), although bandwidth is increasing at an excellent rate in
> most areas (thanks to dsl).

Bandwidth is another problem. Those with fast Internet access would not
have the problem, of course, but for modem and ISDN users - for example
- this could slow down the game even more and thus make the game more
unplayble.

  - Sinister -