Re: Suggest Birth System in Majik

Subject: Re: Suggest Birth System in Majik
From: Jarom Kahuroa (jkahuroa@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 12:05:57 EET

Tommi Leino wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Dave T Jones wrote:
> > I used to spend long hours playing Gemstone and the most helpful aspect
> > there ( apart from learning to type fast) was a "whisper" function
>
>From Majik 2 or 3 times there have been a "whisper" function in game,
>it is a real good thing.

I would expect that things like whisper and just talking in general would be
actual speech, by a microphone etc.  So that in order to whisper, you would
actually have to take the person(s) you want to talk to out of earshot of
others.

This would allow stealthy PCs (and NPCs I guess) to sneak up and overhear,
although how a NPC would hear is beyond me (speech recognition?), for
example a dwarf with bells in his beard would be heard jingling if he wasn't
careful.

I can imagine this would be difficult to implement, for example attenuation
would probably be a prick to code.  Then deciding who should actually get
the audio stream, and the bandwidth it would all take (IPv6 has good
multicastability, and it may be in widespread use by the time majik is
released :-P j/k), although bandwidth is increasing at an excellent rate in
most areas (thanks to dsl).

Well, just a thought...good luck on the project!
Jarom