Re: Premature concerns about spell system

Subject: Re: Premature concerns about spell system
From: Timothy Little (tim@lilly-villa.little-possums.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 06:53:54 EET

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 07:20:06PM -0800, Paul Toompas wrote:
> This may be something no one has to worry about for a while...
>
> I don't know if you all have ever played Asherons Call, but in early beta
> they were trying out a spell system very similar to what is described on
> this web site... people bought spell components and learned different orders
> to put them in to make different spells...  the less people who used a
> particular spell the stronger it would be which was to be a deterrant to
> people wanting to distribute lists of component sequences...

This is universally a bad idea.  Trying to prevent out-of-game
activities via in-game penalties always fails.  There are many ways in
which it fails.

1) Some people don't play for in-game power.  This may seem alien to a
lot of people, but it happens.  Curiosity is a pretty strong motivator
too, and all it takes is one person curious enough to research all the
spell combinations and publish the results.

2) People stop playing games.  Even if they powergamed, once they stop
playing there's no longer any reason not to publish what they know.

3) Out-of-game incentives.  Being known as the first person to discover
all the spell combinations can be a pretty good reason to publish all
your work.

4) Game wreckers.  Some (hopefully few) people like to wreck other
people's games.  Again, for this type of activity all it takes is one
person.

Now, onto a more general discusssion of such in-game activities.

The general problem here is how to encourage players to follow
reasonable social norms for the game world.  In this case, information
hoarding.  In character, this is a perfectly reasonable thing to expect
given the world rules.  Powerful people tend not to voluntarily dilute
their own power.  Furthermore, they tend to act against others who
attempt to reduce their power.  Presumably a well-guarded secret spell
formula increases a character's power.

A number of diferences between this situation and typical games arise.

A) The sorts of settings in which such hoarding takes place are
typically low-tech, with poor communications.  If some rogue discovers
an important secret, it is very easy to stop the secret from spreading.
Disinformation, outlawing, or plain physical violence work.
Furthermore, word-of-mouth is inherently unreliable and after a few
steps from the initial source coudl be pretty close to useless anyway.

Contrast this with the ultra-fast, massively parallel and reliable
internet transmission that undid your work.  It's impossible to prevent
the information getting out.

B) Consequences.  In the game world, someone who defies the norms by
revealing dangerous knowledge are likely to suffer some sort of
reprisals, or at least a determined effort to find out who they are.
The biggest factor here is, it's the only life they've got, and they
can't run forever.

However, a person playing a game always has (at least) the option to
stop playing.  Usually they also have the option to start again, or just
switch to a different character.  Even that only comes into play if
anyone finds out their in-game character and acts appropriately (in
game).

C) IC/OOC blurring.  This is the biggest problem.  For most players,
there is no or little distinction between in-character and
out-of-character knowledge.  Even given everything else mentioned so
far, if all the players only used IC knowledge in game, there would be
no problem.  Even OOC knowledge like "it's only a game" interferes when
applied to thinking about the possible consequences of their character's
actions.  From the character's point of view, it's their whole life.

These points lead me to believe that the only case in which in-game
consequences have the expected effects on players' actions is when the
players make a strong committment to only take in-game action based in
in-character knowledge.

Given that a large fraction of players will be using OOC knowledge in
game, what possible solutions are there?  Certainly no amount of in-game
consequences will work by itself.

Point B (consequences) can't really be addressed (at least within any
reasonable legal and moral bounds).  About the most you can do is
kick out players who do undesirable things.  At that, it's ineffective
and too late anyway.

Point C can be addressed:  make sure that the majority of your players
don't mix IC and OOC knowledge.  By itself, not very good and places a
fairly heavy cognitive load on the players.  Some players won't mind
though.

Point A is about all you can really fix.  Make in-game communication
very difficult, by introducing game mechanics which ensure that the only
way the characters can use dangerous information is through in-game
channels.  Then tailor those in-game channels appropriately to the
world.  For example, a low-tech world would probably require physical
proximity of an existing holder of such information, whether it be a
person or an object like a book.  That way, even if the spell list is
on the web for anyone to see, players can't use it.  Furthermore, you
can make sure that there is always a chance that something goes wrong
with the in-game transfer -- misreading, forgetting, someone discovering
that you're giving away their secrets and getting very cross, etc.

That's my angle on the situation, anyway.

--
Tim Little