Re: Some questions!!

Subject: Re: Some questions!!
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik3d.org)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 20:56:37 EET

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, David Elias Villarroel wrote:

> Is there only going to be one server that clients log in too, or
> multiple ones, for example one in Finland, and one in Germany, and one
> in US and one in Canada (please), etc.  to handle the amount of users?

We have been designing the server to be able to use more than one physical
machine. It is not so easy to drop the servers all over the world, but
it may be necessary at some point. Anyways, even if we use multiple
servers that doesn't mean we would be using multiple worlds. If you are
playing in the Canada's server you could still see and interact with the
people that are playing using Finland's server. The selection of the
server would be totally invisible for the user.

> With a world as dynamic as the one you plan on having, servers will need
> to run all the time non-stop and handle a lot of info.  How expensive will
> such a setup be?  Do you think this could be covered by donations, or
> will you need users to pay a monthly fee?  I see this as an ongoing
> expense which, eventually, donation money'll run-out for.  Do you think
> this could be covered by donations, or will you need users to pay a
> monthly fee?

PC hardware is very cheap nowadays. You don't really need to pay that much
if you want one nice little server with multiple processors running nearly
at 1 ghz. That is more than enough. The problems that can come are more
in the I/O performance. That is also why we may need to drop servers all
over the world. Yes, we hope and are quite sure that we can survive with
the donations and possibly by selling some advertisement space without
needing to require a monthly fee.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik3d.org https://majik3d-legacy.org