Re: ...and the ancient stone knows a deeper tale...

Subject: Re: ...and the ancient stone knows a deeper tale...
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 10:25:30 EEST

McDuff wrote:

> Have included a redone GUI - I don't know what X-Wing alliance looks like
> but I think I know the type of thing you mean.  Tell me what you think of
> this one.

Yes, that is better, except I see those boxes a little bit too large, but
that's only fine tuning.

> For stuff like the forests, do you want a set of textures - tree trunks,
> forest floor, leaves, etc.  The text file wasn't too clear on what you
> actually wanted, so I thought I'd better check up on exactly what the plan
> is now.  I thought that it would be stupid having a top down view of trees
> to map onto the floor, but I don't know whether you have proper "tree
> models" implemented yet.  For the first few, might that idea be better just
> so you could tell the difference between terrains without having to
> implement trees?

Yes. It would be nice to have many textures for one terrain, just leaves,
tree trunks, broken branches and such. We don't have tree models yet,
because we don't have a loader for those anyways so we just forgot all
about trees and other objects. Actually things as broken branches should
be made as objects (models) so the player could actually pick up them,
so there is no point to draw them to be textures. Shortly: You can draw
one or more textures for one terrain type, but do not include anything
gettable to the textures, or anything big such as fallen trees, tree
trunks, but leaves are ok. Initially we don't need to see the actual
difference between terrains. In M2 the tree models will be added anyways,
so there is no much point kludging it.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi