Re: I like the idea - but what's up with the server ?

Subject: Re: I like the idea - but what's up with the server ?
From: Jari P Saukkonen (jsaukkon@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Sun Oct 31 1999 - 14:20:13 EET

On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, StarSoFt wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I like the idea of your system very much!

So do we ;)

> Though I wasn't able to connect your server (195.197.61.60 - no route to
> host) with the client - is it a temporary state?

Some time ago our ISP merged with a larger one and in the process the
majik3d server's IP changed. The new IP is 195.74.0.76

> I do have myself a Linux machine (I686) so I fixed some minor issues
> (problems with libraries etc.) - do you need any help with the project ?

Just ask how much. We all have our lives and can't code majik 24h :(.

> (Of course I'd like to see it working ;)) I suppose there are two parts
> of the project - the server side and the client side. I didn't see any
> reference to the server side on your page - is it also in development ?

Yes, server is also in development, but the source is not available for
public unlike the client. The reason for this is that we don't want
multiple copies (or derivatives) of Majik running, so that we all can
direct our efforts towards a single goal. However, being "not available"
means that it's not available for public download -- talented people
are always needed :).

> Is there any source to help with?

Well, both the client and server are currently going through extensive
modifications, but tell us what you can do and what kind of programming
experience do you have. Then, if Namhas is in good mood he'll give you CVS
access :).

++ Dazzt

---
| Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi : coral   -.
| programming            music          graphics | dolphin   :
| art                  keyboards             web | nah-kolor |
| Babylon5-inspired 'shadow function'        0 <= t <= 4*pi/3
:  x(t) =   (sin 8t)^2 * (5 + 3sin 8t) cos (t/2 + (sin 8t)^2)
.  y(t) = +-(sin 8t)^2 * (5 + 3cos 8t) sin (t/2 + (sin 8t)^2)