Re: [plib-announce] ANNOUNCE: PLIB 1.0.12

Subject: Re: [plib-announce] ANNOUNCE: PLIB 1.0.12
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 23:23:27 EEST

Steve Baker wrote:

> The Tux engine is FAR from optimised yet either. I'm still
> not sorting polygons by material property and I only just added
> a level-of-detail mechanism and none of my models have level
> of detail built into them yet.

It is fast enough, on my machine at least :) Maybe a little bit
too fast ;)

> The most popular modeller under Linux is 'blender' - I don't know
> (offhand) what that can load either.

It doesn't load 3DS and it is horrible to use. Yuck.

> > I'm right now looking at it, trying to find a way to trap the
> > mouse :), hmm then I need to study the SSG.
>
> The mouse trap uses the GLUT call 'glutWarpPointer' - which
> somehow didn't make it into the GLUT manuals.

Figured. Now I'm trying to learn the SSG. Takes a little bit
practice as I haven't even learned the OpenGL yet. I'm just a
simple coordinator :)

I just heard that Harum has also begun to study the SSG and
converting our Landscape.cpp, so we might have SSG version of the
client ready in next few days.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi