RE: Socket/protocol/packet/etc ramblings

Subject: RE: Socket/protocol/packet/etc ramblings
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 13:07:39 EEST

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Tommi Leino wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Jari P Saukkonen wrote:
>
> > Yes, UDP is absolutely necessary.
>
> Yes, if we do not implement the moving fully using the mouse, in a way of
> Baldur's Gate and other 2D games usually do. You just would have to click
> at the position you want to travel, ... it would work, for long distances
> and turning around, but for small distances it would a bit horrible to
> use, until the display is viewed in an isometric angle or otherwise 3rd
> person. In such a system we could use TCP, just only one packet between
> move, no matter distance.

We can implement both 1st and 3rd person, 1st with keyboard+mouse movement
and 3rd with point'n'click movement. In 1st person mode we don't actually
need more than two packets, one for telling that we push a button and move
to whatever direction with variable speed until we release the button and
in point'n'click movement only one packet telling the destination point
and speed. Both these modes must use reliable protocol to transmit the
packets, and thus making UDP useless.

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi