RE: Socket/protocol/packet/etc ramblings

Subject: RE: Socket/protocol/packet/etc ramblings
From: Steve Brown (delancie@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Sun Sep 05 1999 - 00:04:36 EEST

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Otso Makinen wrote:

> I´m pretty sure majority of our player´s would benefit from UPD, almost
> every net game there is uses it, so it can´t be such a problem.

Not only would the players benefit, so would your server, depending
on how many players you intend to be able to handle at any one time.
Cos with TCP the maximum is definately 65535, thats if the machine
has no other TCP connections open... With UDP no such max exists
because its connectionless. But, you have the firewall (and particularly
the IP Masq) problem. It ought to be switchable (as suggested somewhere
earlier) really - and I'm looking into how to do a masq module for
Linux, cos autofw is not an option on my home network (autofw
assumes only one person is gonna want to play majik3d on my network,
not too likely)

So, my suggestion is UDP, with the ability to switch to TCP if
need be.

Steve.