Re: magic and magical arts

Subject: Re: magic and magical arts
From: Kim Kunnas (beregar@majik3d.org)
Date: Wed Oct 13 1999 - 15:07:56 EEST

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, joshua 'azlok corning wrote:

> 	Why do you want to limit potential of mortals. If they get that
> powerful then just make them a god presumably by that time they have
> played the game awhile and can be told the importance of game balance if
> it doesn't take then the gods kill him. Of couse he would have been
> killed long before he ever gets that powerful.

hmm, you are right. We should make so and also make advancing in power
veery slow. I don't want people to get Gods in a year.

> 	What about magical items or places. Like ancient +5 vorpal wepons and
> shit. They should never drain. As i understand Mandor magic is not free
> or around or a form of energy or matter "it is the act of changing the
> universe" I don't see why someone can't change the universe permently.
> At least localy and with relativly small effects. Like a continual light
> spell or a stone golem gardian or a floating island or a constant
> rainbow or a magic television or a ring of invisability. I think you are
> taking this description of magic to the point of actualy hurting game
> play. By making the effects of magic time dependant some of the coolist
> things in a fanticy world can't exist.

Magical items are simple, they just have some energy reserve which
they use. So magical items use "charges" and give benefits as long
as they get power and after that they must be recharged or then
they could drain power from the surroundings or from the user. Do
we really want permanent magical items which don't require anything?
It would be foolish. What would be the effects of such spells as
eternal night if they lasted forever? or do you want that we have
items that cast meteor storms or something similar such like that?
There should be always some cost in use of magic.

Continual light and floating islands both require energy reserve.
Magic changes things, it doesn't directly give power to them. I admit
that I missused the term magic and gave false image that magic is
energy, actually I meant that there always has to be some source
for power. Creating a golem requires only one "burst" of magic since
it just changes patterns to another patterns and they remain so.
However, to create light you must constantly change something to
something else unless you want "reserve" greater amount of energy
for the spell to use in which case it anyway uses some energy
reserve. This is my opinion.

- Beregar Dar'Eldath (Beregar@majik3d.org)