Re: Old gods, new gods, ancients, structure of reality.

Subject: Re: Old gods, new gods, ancients, structure of reality.
From: Beregar (beregar@majik3d.org)
Date: Tue Oct 12 1999 - 18:53:55 EEST

I vote we use this system. It covers all necessary things and explains a lot
in a logical way.

"Jonathan Koehn (Eleril)" wrote:

> >forms. They dont possess the powers of gods, they dont have a vast power
> >reserve of magical-essence but they do control it well.
> Do they get their magic from them self or do they know how to get it from
> around them.

Well, We, the Sages and Ancients, may have some abilities which are tied
to our present form and we are also our spirit part which probably gives
us some abilities (like ability to "walk" in spirit world should we have one
etc). Though, as Mandor said, we have near perfect control over magic
which in general allows us to make anything.

-- a little about general spellcasting --

If you remember, I suggested that symbols are things which were originally
created by the Elder Gods to control magical patterns and thus magic itself.
Power of symbolic magic is limited in the hands of mortal beings for they
never can fully understand the true form of symbols with their inssufficient
senses and ways to form them. This is why there are so many ways for
mortals to cast spells, those ways are attempts to imitate the true symbols.

However, if a mortal manages to reach a status of a demigod he is no
longer a mere mortal and his ability to understand, and form, symbols
becames greatly enhanced. His  magic becames more powerful but
amount of spells he can cast is still dependant on amount of symbolic
knowledge he knows. Sages and the Ancients, especially the most
oldest ones, know almost all symbols so in magical knowledge they
can be better than most New Gods but they don't have  access to
divine point type magic which is the power (like innate ability) of the
Gods.

- Beregar (Beregar@majik3d.org)