Re: Spell symbols

Subject: Re: Spell symbols
From: Jerry 'Sinister' Kurunen (sinister.serpent@sci.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 22:28:26 EEST

Taneli Tikka wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Atte Koivula wrote:

> > and MUST HAVE different kinds of symbols because we need a
> > flexible spellsystem that gives space for hundreds, even
> > thousands of spells. It must be possible, for example, to
> > cast, as Aluna pointed out, firebolts and lightnings. And
> > don\'t even try to squirm your way out of this, your \"tune\"
> > is simply fucked up.
>
> That system is much much better since the symbols need to be in tune.
> "image" and "magical force" symbols ARE NOT in tune "force" or "mind" and
> "magic force" are. if you want to separate the image for some atrifical
> kludge then do it outside symbols. If symbols arent equal in power the
> whole magic system is pretty fucked up - with unbalanced symbols its not
> an issue of how many symbosl you know but what you know.. and that twists
> the whole consept. We need balanced symbols that DO NOT cross over to each
> other.. like image and mind DO cross over to each other (image is really
> only a part of mind).. if we have multiple symbols that meddle in the same
> field the whole thing gets fucked - just learn the best and most powerful
> symbol and you can screw the rest. and that isnt the way to do it.

I dislike the idea where all the symbols would be in _total_balance_.
That is unnatural. Now most of you think that magic is unnatural, but is
it really unnatural in the world of Majik? It think not. I would like to
see at least a couple of dozens of different symbols with different
powers and power levels. Why every symbol should be equal in strength?
It is possible to tune the whole system without having symbols of equal
power level. Also, one should be able to cast spells that remind each
other with different combinations. For example healing spells: you could
cast a healing spell by putting together symbols like 'create' and
'life' but you could cast other kind of healing spell with
'control','life' and 'spirit' or whatever those symbols are.

- Pain is just a reminder that you are alive. -
--
    /              Jerry Kurunen / Sinister               \
   /               ~ Serpent of Nightside ~                \

Nightside homepage: http://www.netti.fi/~halsa/
            E-mail: <nightside@hotmail.com>