Re: Spell symbols

Subject: Re: Spell symbols
From: Taneli Tikka (ttikka@icon.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 20:28:27 EEST

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Atte Koivula wrote:

> Too hard to code, eh? I have a pretty good idea how this all
> can be coded. IN FACT, I coded a system like this into
> Majik4 in a couple of hours. Don\'t tell me what is hard to
> code and what is not, mur.

Haha you seem to have some serious problem with logic, first you disagree
then agree about the same topic :) make up your mind.

> and MUST HAVE different kinds of symbols because we need a
> flexible spellsystem that gives space for hundreds, even
> thousands of spells. It must be possible, for example, to
> cast, as Aluna pointed out, firebolts and lightnings. And
> don\'t even try to squirm your way out of this, your \"tune\"
> is simply fucked up.

That system is much much better since the symbols need to be in tune.
"image" and "magical force" symbols ARE NOT in tune "force" or "mind" and
"magic force" are. if you want to separate the image for some atrifical
kludge then do it outside symbols. If symbols arent equal in power the
whole magic system is pretty fucked up - with unbalanced symbols its not
an issue of how many symbosl you know but what you know.. and that twists
the whole consept. We need balanced symbols that DO NOT cross over to each
other.. like image and mind DO cross over to each other (image is really
only a part of mind).. if we have multiple symbols that meddle in the same
field the whole thing gets fucked - just learn the best and most powerful
symbol and you can screw the rest. and that isnt the way to do it.

> There\'s no reason to change the entire fundamentals of our
> entire fucking magic system. It\'s hard enough to understand
> for most people even now. Evolution has directed our magic
> system into what it is now.

and what it is now is an unbalanced synthetic kludge mess

> than the simple symbol system and it wouldn\'t be very
> graceful codewise, mind you.

here you are in chos again - about the same topic. Or maybe you had
communication/understanding difficulties.

-m