Re: Spell symbols

Subject: Re: Spell symbols
From: Atte Koivula (yorka@dlc.fi)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 20:23:04 EEST

*ack*

> Now these do need to be put in tune.. we dont need powers
and forms. Only
> spheres. I see no point in separating the elements - not
in symbols but
> maybe in actual spell as an argument, otherwise its going
to bee too hard
> to code a system that allows fireballs or waterbolts - if
there would not
> even be an argument for it.

Too hard to code, eh? I have a pretty good idea how this all
can be coded. IN FACT, I coded a system like this into
Majik4 in a couple of hours. Don\'t tell me what is hard to
code and what is not, mur.

> and whats with that arrow-form? or key?.. or weapon?
huoh..

Looks like I need to dig up that documentation about these
symbols from the old archives or just type the shit from the
beginning...

> earth, water can be combined to \"matter\" symbol
> flesh, nature, spirit, being, essence,  plantkind to
\"life\" or \"spirit\"
> symbol
> fire and air (as in electricity) can be put into \"force\"
> magic need its own symbol, as does mind.
> image isnt a symbol at all since all illusions exist
either A) inside some
> persons mind (which puts in to mind symbo) or B) as
optical/holographic
> illusions which puts image symbol to \"force\"..
> essence, being etc symbols can be put to life, spirit or
soul - which ever
> you want to call it.

This is so ridiculous it isn\'t even funny. We NEED, REQUIRE
and MUST HAVE different kinds of symbols because we need a
flexible spellsystem that gives space for hundreds, even
thousands of spells. It must be possible, for example, to
cast, as Aluna pointed out, firebolts and lightnings. And
don\'t even try to squirm your way out of this, your \"tune\"
is simply fucked up.

Hey, I got a GREAT idea, how about we combine ALL the
symbols into one single symbol called \"magic\"!

> with those 5 tehcniques and 9 symbols it is possible to
cast any possible
> spell. we dont need more symbosl than that - instead of
symbols we need
> arguments that can be given.. like targets or form.. THEN
we might need
> those arrows and weapons etc.. but not as actual symbols.

There\'s no reason to change the entire fundamentals of our
entire fucking magic system. It\'s hard enough to understand
for most people even now. Evolution has directed our magic
system into what it is now.

Besides, the argument stuff would be much harder to code
than the simple symbol system and it wouldn\'t be very
graceful codewise, mind you.

Sorry about the discouraging criticism, nothing personal...

_/_
/Atte \"Yorkaturr/Shadow\" Koivula <yorkaturr@majik.netti.fi>

True darkness is not the absence of light.
 Tämä viesti on lähetetty Saunalahden Serverin Webmailista
 osoitteesta: www.saunalahti.fi