RE: UI stuff

Subject: RE: UI stuff
From: Jari Saukkonen (jsaukkon@cs.helsinki.fi)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 20:19:39 EEST

>This message is only for those that have tried to Majik 3D chatting
>system for theirselves so they know how sucky it is right now.
>
>How about a system that only one chat-message would be at screen at
>time and it would stay on screen until the user hits space-bar and
>then next one would appear. This would allow the users idle and it
>wouldn't spam the users with many chat messages at same time, which
>is really ugly already if talking with 3 or more people. The message
>typed by the player itself will not show, it should be stupid to
>close it with space-bar and would spam the screen with no reason,
>instead we'll make up/down arrows work in the chat-prompt.

It will NOT work. Could you sometimes think about the poor little space-bar
who gets whacked n^4 times a day =(. In a place with several people chatting
with each other the user would press space in every few seconds. Not nice
IMO.

My solution would be a transparent window where the chat messages (among
others) scroll. Naturally, normal backbuffer is needed and messages should
be
color-coded according to their type (chatting, "you feel hungry" etc).
Also, the window's size should be adjustable so that if you are in the
middle
of intense discussion you can make it bigger.

++ Dazzt

---
| Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi : coral   -.
| programming            music          graphics | dolphin   :
| art                  keyboards             web | nah-kolor :
| Babylon5-inspired 'shadow function'        0 <= t <= 4*pi/3
:  x(t) =   (sin 8t)^2 * (5 + 3sin 8t) cos (t/2 + (sin 8t)^2)
.  y(t) = +-(sin 8t)^2 * (5 + 3cos 8t) sin (t/2 + (sin 8t)^2)