RE: UI stuff

Subject: RE: UI stuff
From: Tommi Leino (namhas@majik.netti.fi)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 21:13:37 EEST

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Jari Saukkonen wrote:

> It will NOT work. Could you sometimes think about the poor little space-bar
> who gets whacked n^4 times a day =(. In a place with several people chatting
> with each other the user would press space in every few seconds. Not nice
> IMO.

We can try it. People could get used to it.

> My solution would be a transparent window where the chat messages (among
> others) scroll. Naturally, normal backbuffer is needed and messages should
> be color-coded according to their type (chatting, "you feel hungry"
> etc). Also, the window's size should be adjustable so that if you are in
> the middle of intense discussion you can make it bigger.

Just like in Everquest. It is just too easy to do "you feel hungry",
stuff and it could also encourage other mud-like stuff. I would like
to try stay without persistent text-window at all. People would look
at it all the time instead of the graphics and see the graphics only
for positioning stuff. It would be quite a mud then. It would also
slow down my TNT2 and take just too much of screen space. :)

--
Tommi Leino / Majik 3D project
namhas@majik.netti.fi http://majik.netti.fi