Re: Questions About Most Everything

Subject: Re: Questions About Most Everything
From: Jari P Saukkonen (jsaukkon@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 00:02:51 EET

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Jonathan Koehn wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I also have many questions about how you are structuring the
> > 3D-animation system in majik (i.e. in what format/how do I submit
> > animation sequences for characters walking, swinging a sword, crouching,
> > running, drawing a bow, eating etc etc etc).  Is your animation system
> > axis-based polygon deformation (rotation/translation/scale of polygons
> > relative to some reference axi/point) or point-based (where I would just
> > give you coordinates for the all the vertices in a model, each vertex
> > with a separate motion path for the duration of the animation) Can it do
> > both? Does it do something else entirely (shudder)?
>
> Namhas,Harum, Dazzt?
> Id like to know this to.:)

Currently, there isn't any :).

In the future we are planning to implement skeletal animation system, that
will probably be a hybrid between precalculated keyframes and true IK. The
point is that we could get good performance with the increased freedom
from skeletal animation (the players could move their limbs freely etc).

> > Also I want to be able to see the meshes I make in the actual game, to
> > get a better idea of what I'm doing (ie. this has too many polys, this
> > map looks bad, etc). Can I "load" objects into the majik executable
> > program (which I havent downloaded yet)? Will they look right (proper
> > textures, assuming such are contained in the origional file)? Where
> > should I put image maps, how do I get the program to find them, and get
> > it to use them for the right things (transparency for example)?  Can I
> > affect them (i.e. fix texture map placement, object
> > scale/translation/rotation) within the program (in realtime)? If I can't
> > do any of this can we incorporate all or some of it into the next
> > release? Please?

Yes, this is a problem that IMO should be worked on ASAP, it would ease
graphicians' work quite much. Maybe the best short-term solution would be
to create a small program that would display one model (supplied as a
parameter) in the majik landscape or something.

In not-so-near future it will be possible to add objects to the game
while it's running so it won't be a problem then.

However, personally I believe the biggest problem to be that we are now
using non-standard model and texture formats (.ac/.rgb). If we could load
.3ds and .jpg directly life would be much easier.

> > Can I just give everything (objects, texture maps, etc) to someone else,
> > and get them to do all this, send me the results so I can load up the
> > program and have a look?:)

If you don't have the patience for converting and replacing original
models, this is the only (current) solution :). Just whine to me or
Namhas.

++dazzt

---
Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi | Coral
programming, music, keyboards, web, demos,  b5 | Nah-kolor
dazzt @ Majik3D RPG     https://majik3d-legacy.org | Majik