Re:[Fwd: Inventory system]

Subject: Re:[Fwd: Inventory system]
From: kai talonpoika (ill_kaido@disinfo.net)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 17:49:00 EET

>1. Regarding the inventory "strategy" - I agree the slot system sucks,
>if not for any other reason then at least because it's soooo artificial.
>Now then, the alternative is a "slotless" system. But this has to have
>some limitations as well, isn't that so? The obvious limitation is
>weight - and I totally agree with that. What I'm asking you guys to do
>(if possible/affordable) is take volume into account. The character will
>probably be a rather strong guy - probably able to carry 200 kilos on
>long trips by foot alone in the wilderness - that's okay, that's why we
>want to play the game. But even if I can agree such a guy could possibly
>exist and carry 2 armors, 3 swords, a bow and 50 arrows (supposedly
>weighing about 200 kilos), I can't agree he could carry 200 kilos worth
>of feathers... or balloons. So I think there should be some way to limit
>the amount of items carried in each bag or whatever based on the items'
>volume...

hmm. in runequest (rpg) items are not measured in weight, but in enc (don't remember what it stands for). enc is combined size and weight, i'll give an example to clarify this i bit: for instance, a short sword would have enc of 1, but a long sword, that weights the same, would have enc of 2, because of the larger size of it. so, using this system 200 kilos of feathers would have higher enc than, say, 200 kilos of uranium...
  i think this is quite working system

kaid

kai 'kaid' talonpoika
ill_kaido@disinfo.net // hop.to/ill_kaido