[Fwd: Inventory system]

Subject: [Fwd: Inventory system]
From: Atte Koivula (yorkaturr@majik3d.org)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 08:07:09 EET

--
_/_
/Atte "Yorkaturr" Koivula <yorkaturr@majik3d.org>

attached mail follows:

Hi! I read your thread about the inventory and couldn't help commenting on it - hope I'm not wasting your time - please say so if this is the case... The reason I'm mailing it instead of posting is because I couldn't manage posting it - there doesn't seem to be any button for that ;) Here goes... something: 1. Regarding the inventory "strategy" - I agree the slot system sucks, if not for any other reason then at least because it's soooo artificial. Now then, the alternative is a "slotless" system. But this has to have some limitations as well, isn't that so? The obvious limitation is weight - and I totally agree with that. What I'm asking you guys to do (if possible/affordable) is take volume into account. The character will probably be a rather strong guy - probably able to carry 200 kilos on long trips by foot alone in the wilderness - that's okay, that's why we want to play the game. But even if I can agree such a guy could possibly exist and carry 2 armors, 3 swords, a bow and 50 arrows (supposedly weighing about 200 kilos), I can't agree he could carry 200 kilos worth of feathers... or balloons. So I think there should be some way to limit the amount of items carried in each bag or whatever based on the items' volume... 2. I saw you were arguing about the quantity of "chrome" :) - I think the graphical interface is as important as any other feature of a graphical game... That's mostly what you dream at night after playing the game 15 hours straight, that's what you first remember about a game, that's where the magic is (apart from the plot, of course). So if you're afraid some people won't be able to cope with too much (or should I say, enough) detail, then why not let them choose among 2-3 detail presets? I don't know how hard that is - that's why I call these comments instead of orders :) 3. The way things should look like in your inventory - I agree you should have as much control over their position as possible - that is, in 3D, not in a 1D list... 4. PLEASE, don't issue error messages when you click on "nothing". Beep, scream, do nothing, but don't issue error messages. That's probably the most annoying thing in the world besides Bill Gates - having to click an OK button when you didn't click on anything - it probably happened exactly because you were in a hurry or in a lazy mood... In any case an extra click won't do you any good... 5. I suggest you should use as many modifier keys instead of toggle keys as possible regarding the 3D system and a viewing/interacting system that doesn't need on-screen buttons at all (you may display them for the challenged, I agree, but you shouldn't need them). What I mean by "modifier" keys is, if not obvious, that pressing ALT, for example, while moving the mouse rotates the model, and upon depressing ALT the cursor moves freely. A "toggle" key solution for the same problem would be, for example, pressing "R" and depressing it - now you're in the "rotate" mode. You rotate the model then press "R" again - or even worse, pressing "F" - and you're now in "free cursor" mode. And, anyway, even if you don't agree with my modifier/toggle key theory, at least implement some type - any type - of shortcuts... Pressing on-screen rotate/zoom/pan buttons lasts forever... Well, the ideal should be a FULLY customizable shortcut system - each and every feature being customizable, including modifier/toggle key settings... But I guess that's pretty hard to do because I didn't see it anywhere... Not even in professional 3D software packages... These are my comments on the inventory (for the time being?). _Please_ let me know if you don't find them useful or you find them inappropriate - this way I won't bother you (and myself) the next time... Thanks for the patience! Bogdan