RE: Rendering Engine/SurRender3D

Subject: RE: Rendering Engine/SurRender3D
From: Jari Saukkonen (jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 13:27:55 EEST

> Hi,
>
> I am maintainer of tuxfleet.sourceforge.net, and I am currently writing
> a space fight simulator based on plib (plib.sourceforge.net) - I suspect
> you might have heard of that library before ;-)

Yes, that's true :).

> I probably want to use your terrain rendering engine in my game, cause
> some times, even a starfighter has to come down and fight a planet base.
>
> Would it be possible (in terms of programablility, NOT in terms of high
> frame
> rates) to include your terrain rendering engine in my game in a simple
> way like:

Yep, it should be possible to adapt the terrain engine from the version
0.4.0. There are two classes, mcTextureHeightGen and mcTerrainGen with very
simple interfaces (mcTerrainGen::getHeight(double x, double y)) which
currently generate the entire landscape and it's texture algorithmically.
You should replace the code in those classes to dynamically load terrain and
texture data from the disk when needed.

Get the source from our ftp and play with it. If you manage to use it in
your own project we are anxious to see it in action :).

However a word of warning, the code is not very clean, there are too much
inter-class references so taking it out from Majik's class structure may
require some hacking. Also I don't take any guarantees that it doesn't leak
memory, etc. Use at your own risk :).

> I also want to know:
>
> I've read that you started using the SurRender3D engine - how?
>
> I had a look at their homepage and it looked to me as a commercial
> product. Is there a licence to use it for free in GPLd games?

No, we have a license to use it noncommercially from Taika Technologies (our
employer, who is a SR licensee). This also means that our future releases
will be binary-only for now.

---
Jari Saukkonen + jari.saukkonen@cs.helsinki.fi | Coral
programming, music, keyboards, web, demos,  b5 | Nah-kolor
dazzt @ Majik3D RPG     https://majik3d-legacy.org | Majik