RE: some posible faqs

Subject: RE: some posible faqs
From: Otso Makinen (otso@hybrid.fi)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 12:22:44 EEST

> From: joshua@u.washington.edu
>
> Q1 i understand that the client for Majik is open source and thus free
> for download but i was wondering will access to the server
> cost money. I
> mean if after the game is running it will take some serious
> bandwidth to
> serve up the game to possibly thousands of clients. that costs money.
> will you just use ads to pay for it or will it be pay as you play?

Playing Majik is going to be completely free of charge. We are counting on
donations from the true addicts like many MUDs do.

> Q2 I noticed that the map is very large. My concern for this
> is that is
> it so large that a player will never run into another player.
> Especialy
> if they are exploring more remote areas of the majic world.
> I might be
> a little premature in this assesment but i would hate to be the only
> player in a remote area controlled by some diety and constantly pushed
> into service by that deity.

Remote areas are ment to be remote. Cities and their vicinity are going to
be well populated, but we don't want distant lands be full of players who
got there in a few minutes run from the other side of the world. One must
prepare well for longer journeys.

> Q3 this might also be a little pre mature but i was wondering
> what kind
> of AI can a player expect from NPC's. If a player is in a remote area
> where other PC's are rare interacting and getting information
> from NPC's
> could get tediouse if not implemented in a novel way.

Discussing with NPCs is very likely going to be based on a keyword system
similiar to the one used in older Ultimas.

- Harum