RE: some Q's

Subject: RE: some Q's
From: Otso Makinen (otso@hybrid.fi)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 13:00:33 EEST

It's always glad to hear others like our ideas too.

> Secondly, I haven't played any of the other majik versions

> I only just
> found this game through freshmeat when I I was looking for a good
> multiplayer RPG for me and my brother to play. Well anyway,
> as a result
> i'm not quite sure how majik5 is going to operate. I have
> read through all
> the text you have on your site and im curently reating the
> design mailing
> group. So I have a couple of questions that may help clear up
> a few things
> for me.

It would be very helpful if people sent more questions like this, since
it's very hard for us to come up with additions to our FAQ.

> Will the PC's move around in real time or some type of turn
> based system,
> i.e. 1 turn passes per second, 1/2 second, or every 5 seconds ?

Almost everything will be turn based, the lenght of a turn was 1/2 seconds
in Majik4, and it seemed to work fairly well. However, it could well be
longer.
It's no use deciding such things before they can be tested in real
situations.

> Also will the PC's, or for that matter everything be animated or just
> be still tiles? So when you muve you walk or just "POP" into the next
> square? and if there are animations will they be simple, like just a
> stride or will they include things like weapon attacks,
> wielding stuff and
> anything else that could be animated? that brings me to the
> next bit, Will
> each weapon have its own tile/overlay and also things like
> cloths, boots,
> hats, shields and anything else wearable?

Our eventual goal is to have invidually textured players and monsters moving
in smooth animations, running, limping, weaving swords, etc. The clothing
and
armour one is wearing directly affect one's outlook with details such as
dirt
and bloodstains. Don't expect much in the next months to come, though.

> I am currently thinking about (trying) to help with the
> graghics side of
> it so these questions would help alot if I want to make some
> demo pics to
> show.

It would be great to have some more pictures of the World and it's
inhabitants, you can never have too many. What we most need is people
capable of doing good looking low-polygon 3D models. 2D images are also
still wanted almost as much.

> Well thanks for your time, and I hope this email helps to
> make this group
> a little more active for a bit :)
>
> Samuel Porter

I hope it too. Question of the day: what would make this list more active?
Would you people prefer a bulletin board on the web pages?

- Harum